Friday, April 18, 2014

What's so GOOD about Friday?

What’s so good about Friday? I was challenged with this thought recently. I know that the good part about what happened more than 2,000 years ago "today" is that Jesus died for our sins. That is good. But it does seem strange that we call today Good Friday. I mean, after all, Jesus was struck, slapped, spit upon, scourged and ultimately put to a most gruesome death on a cross for our sins...

"He is worthy of death," they answered. Then they spit in his face and struck him with their fists. Others slapped him and said, "Prophesy to us, Christ. Who hit you?" Matthew 26:66-67

Now I know that being spit upon is not painful, but I’ve been told it’s rather humiliating. When I was a reporter in Arizona, I was assigned to cover the Peoria Police Department and so I had a few occasions to ride along with the officers. As we drove through the city one day, I asked the officer I was with what was the worst thing that had happened to him on the job. His answer surprised me. He said he’s been shot at, hit, kicked, had every swear word in the book spewed out at him, and he’d been thrown up on. But he said the thing he hated the most, the thing that was so disgusting and degrading, was being spit upon by a perpetrator whom he is trying to handcuff.

Being spit upon is nothing compared to hanging to death on a cross, but every time I read those words in the Bible, I think about the humiliation Christ suffered, along with the pain. Just something to ponder.

No comments: