Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Upcycled Vintage Fans

I love recycling and making crafts and entertaining. I was able to combine all of those hobbies last week by making Upcycled Vintage Fans. I saw the idea in a craft book years ago and finally got around to making them. They were super easy and fun to make! Best of all, they required very little supplies, some of which may already be in your home. Below are the instructions in only 3 easy steps!

Step 1: Gather supplies. Old knives (I found some vintage-looking ones for .25 each at a thrift store). Vintage cards or postcards (I found some at thrift stores and a pack of new vintage-like valentines on clearance at a book store). Pieces of broken jewelry, fabric flowers, charms (all recycled). Double-sided tape. And Super glue.

Step 2: Using double-sided tape, adhere the knife to the inside of the card and use the tape to secure the card closed. If you are using a postcard, trace a piece of cardstock the same side as the postcard and use that for the backing of the fan.

Step 3: Using super glue (or any strong glue), affix charms, flowers, jewelry to the front of the card. Optional: Using a glitter pen, you can add small touches of glitter to the card and/or tie a pretty ribbon on the handle of the fan. I opted to keep mine simple.


That's it! These fans make lovely gifts to send home with guests after a fancy party. They look pretty sitting on each dinner plate of a victorian-style table setting.  Now all I have to do is have a Ladie's Tea Party so I can use these!

No comments: