Monday, April 23, 2012

Gratitude

As I was making dinner this afternoon, Amber came into the kitchen and said, “Mom, what’s the worst thing that has ever happened to you?”

Without hesitating, I said, “My mom dying.”

“I thought you would say that.” Amber said. “But that’s the only really bad thing that has happened to you. You’ve lived a good life. I mean, you’re still living a good life.”

I quickly corrected her before I even had time to take in what she said. “I’ve had many other bad things happen to me.”

“Like what?” she asked.

“My brother dies and my mother-in-law died,” I informed her.

“Oh,” she said.

“And I have lots of headaches,” I went on, not realizing what I was doing.

“But you don’t let your headaches bother you,” she said.

“I don’t?” I asked “Well, I’m glad you think so.”

Then, as if to remind me of what I missed earlier in the conversation, Amber said, “But mom, you have a good life. A really good life.”

Finally, the light bulb went on in my head. It was as if God was whispering to me, “Listen to your daughter, to my daughter. She is speaking the truth, my truth.”

“You’re right, Amber,” I said. “I have a very good life.” Then I hugged her and she went dancing out of the kitchen and into the back yard, most likely oblivious to the fact that she had just taught me a valuable--and necessary--lesson about gratitude.

No comments: