Thursday, October 6, 2011

First Signs of Fall

-- My house is all decorated for the harvest season! I did that yesterday.
-- I have a pumpkin spice candle burning in my living room.
-- There's a huge batch of granola in the oven and the smell wafting through the house is even better than the candle. The girls and I made the granola during school today.
-- There's zucchini bread in the freezer from my big baking day last week.
-- I'm going to make homemade hot chocolate later.
Sulphur Shelf Mushrooms
(chicken of the woods) grow on trees.
-- The girls and I went on a nature walk in the crisp, cold weather this morning. (I'll post about that later.)
-- The leaves are changing color.
-- I'm wearing a sweater and jeans. I love wearing jeans! That probably explains why I have 8 pairs.
-- I have crafts galore just ready and waiting for those rainy days when we'll be indoors. (or dry days)
-- Mushroom hunting season is coming up. (see picture)
-- Lobster season just started!
-- And let's not forget the holidays...my birthday, Halloween, Eric's birthday, Autumn's birthday, Thanksgiving and Christmas!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah...I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this time of year!

4 comments:

ATSmith said...

can i have your granola recipe? i have tried to make it a few times and it never turns out good!

Christine H. said...

Christine Hodge



Mix together in a large bowl:

9 cups old-fashioned or quick oats

4 tbsp. cinnamon

1 cup sunflower seeds, shelled

1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts, pecans & almonds (just one kind or all of them, your choice)

Set aside



In a sauce pan, over medium heat, mix:

3/4 cup canola, veggie or olive oil

3/4 cup maple syrup

3 tsp. vanilla



Pour wet mixture over dry mixture and mix thoroughly.

Pour into 2 bar pans or 2 9x13 pans.

Bake at 325 degrees for 25-35 minutes.

Mix the granola every 10 minutes while baking, so it doesn't burn.



Let set for a few minutes.

Put in airtight container and enjoy alone, over applesauce or ice cream, or with milk.

Ruth said...

I love the fall too! I enjoy reading about your girls and all that you do with them. Great momma you are! So glad your dad will be joining you...

Thanks for the granola recipe too. I'll try it!

Organic Is Awesome said...

This is interesting, is this a blog? New to the whole internet thing sorry!