Thursday, September 29, 2011

Happy Birthday, Mom

Today is my mother's birthday. She would have been 75. Earlier, I told the girls that it was Nana's birthday and Autumn immediately held up the toy that was in her hands and said "Here, Nana." Amber followed suit by holding up both her arms real high and saying, "It's a hug for Nana." We went out to dinner to celebrate her birthday, even though she isn't here with us. It helped, I think. It's interesting how these "firsts" can swallow me up in sadness. I think about my mom every day. But today is definitely different. More sad. More real. Next week when I decorate the house for the autumn season, the sadness will overwhelm me again because I always call my mom and talk to her while I decorate. Then there's one holiday after another... We decided to buy my dad a plane ticket for the week of Christmas. I can't wait to see him. It will be good to have him here. I wonder if they celebrate birthdays in heaven. (Please no theological answers.)

Happy Birthday, Mom!

No comments: