Sunday, June 19, 2011

In Memory of Myrna Hodge

After battling cancer for 17 years (and I mean battling), Friday night my mother-in-law, Myrna, went home to be with the Lord. I just finished writing the obituary, and so I thought I would just copy it onto here, as it tells a little bit about the person she was.



Myrna Louise Hodge, 76, died in Santa Barbara on June 17, 2011. Myrna was born in Kingston, Pennsylvania and grew up nearby.

At the age of 9, Myrna accepted the Lord as her savior at an evangelistic meeting. She attended Philadelphia College of the Bible and taught Bible clubs in the inner-city of Pennsylvania. In 1968, Myrna married Robert Hodge. A year later, they moved to Santa Barbara, California, where she spent the remainder of her life on this earth with her husband and three children.

Myrna attended Santa Barbara Community Church and Shoreline Community Church. She taught Bible studies in Santa Barbara, worked in the loan department for Great Western Bank and was a bookkeeper for 12 years at Hill and Gaeden.

Myrna’s favorite thing to do was spend time with her family.

“She just loved seeing us all together,” said her daughter, Amy Tolsma.

Other things Myrna enjoyed were cooking, crossword puzzles, cross-stitch, playing the piano, writing letters and sharing God’s love with others.

“She was a cook, homemaker and spiritual mentor to her kids and many others,” said her husband, Robert.

Myrna is described by her family and friends as a woman who touched people’s lives everywhere she went.  Even a few days before she went home to be with the Lord, Myrna was sharing His love with one of her caregivers.

Myrna was preceded in death by her father, George Bomboy; her mother, Mary Bomboy; and sister, Emma Jo McGill.

She is survived by her husband, Robert Hodge; daughters, Sonja Hodge and Amy Tolsma; son, Eric Hodge; son-in-law, David Tolsma; daughter-in-law, Christine Hodge; and grandchildren, Pieter and Rachel Tolsma, Sarah Hodge, and Amber and Autumn Hodge.

A memorial celebration for Myrna will be held at 3:00 p.m. Saturday, June 25 at Shoreline Community Church, 935 San Andres St., Santa Barbara.

In lieu of flowers, Myrna requested donations be made to Food For The Poor,
6401 Lyons Road, Coconut Creek, FL 33073
, www.foodforthepoor.org.

4 comments:

Michele said...

That is a beautiful job Christine. Praying for you all this week.

Patrick S. O'Donnell said...

Thanks so much for posting this lovely tribute in memory of Myrna. I'm a neighbor of your in-laws and just learned of her death from another neighbor (Mary) and have to yet to speak with Bob (which is why I looked online to find some notice. I worked on their home some years ago hanging doors and installing hardware and talk to Bob on occasion. They are in our thoughts and prayers.

Rebekah said...

Christine ~ You don't know me, but just I found your blog honoring Myrna and I'm so happy to read your wonderful words about her. She knew me when I was born :) because she was in the church where my dad was pastor. Her mom would come to our home and mend for my mom while I was growing up. Her mom was the sweetest lady I knew! I knew Emma Jo, and Bob has kept in touch down thru the years. He lives about an hour from here. In fact, one day last year he pulled up at our door, opened his trunk, and proceeded to give us loads of small appliances he no longer needed because he & Lois combined households. He'd read our Praise & Prayer updates to know we were setting up a separate apartment for missionaries in crisis returning from Africa, and his things were a direct answer to prayer! I realize he's battling a brain tumor, but I haven't heard any update lately. If you could let me know, I'd really appreciate it! Back to Myrna...she supported us faithfully, every month, since 1992! And she would call from time to time to chat and pray. Especially in 2004 when my precious hubby was diagnosed with Stage IV colon cancer and given 2-3 months to live. She was such an encouragement to Rick, me, and our 5 kids during that time. God gave us 13 months together, then moved Rick to Heaven in Nov 2005. Since then, she'd stayed in closer touch, and even sent a wall hanging she made herself. I miss her and our conversations! But I know where she is and I rejoice that she is breathing freely and without pain at Home! I'll continue to pray for your family...may you and the extended Hodge family stay close to Jesus! ~ Margaret (Rineer) (w/my daughter Rebekah's gmail acct)

Christine H. said...

Thank you for your kind words.
Bob M. passed away Oct. 8, 2011. I am sorry you didn't hear about it until now. Let me know that you got this, through another comment, because I am having trouble posting comments on here and want to make sure you get the news.