Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Snake in the gutter

My neighbor, Eddie, and I killed a rattlesnake just now. It was an awesome display of neighborhood teamwork.

I had walked outside to put some recyclables in the bin, and Eddie told me that there was a rattlesnake in the gutter near their driveway. His roommates weren't home and Eric wasn't home, so it was up to us to kill that bad beast. It was a really big rattler, too, and it was mad. I got our shovel, handed it to Eddie and he took a jab at the snake. He got 'em, but not at the head, so he was still very much alive. I said, "Why don't I run him over in my car!"

I got in my car, and Eddie poked the snake until he slithered into the street. Then Eddie gave me directions: "A little to the left," "More to the left." Okay, go for it!" I ran that sucker over and backed up and ran him over again and again until it was quite dead. When Eddie picked it up with the shovel, a rat was protruding from him belly. At this point, my girls had wandered outside, and they weren't at all disturbed as they watched Eddie chop the head off.

I'm not normally a brave one when it comes to dangerous creatures, but that snake had to go, and my adrenaline must have kicked in enough to make me brave. After Eddie disposed of the rattlesnake, we gave each other a high-five and I thanked God that the snake didn't have a chance to wander over to our yard where the girls were just playing.

It's never a dull moment around here!

5 comments:

mandrews said...

You can actually call Bob, the snake guy and he will come pick up the snake and relocate it for you (as long as it's not in any immediate danger). Rattlesnakes are actually a great benefit to our ecosystem with controlling rodent population. Plus they make nice meals for our King Snakes.

Bob works with the Ojai Raptor Center so next time you can call them to take care of the snake.

ruthbrooks said...

Wow, Christine!! Talk about innovation!

Michele said...

You are my new hero!! And you are right, never a dull moment at the Hodge Lodge, but I bet you wish there were a few! ;-)

mandrews said...

I also recently found out that you can call the fire dept. and they will come out and humaianly catch the rattle snake (which Bob later picks up and relocates in the Los Padres National Forest)... Just an FYI...

Christine H. said...

Thanks, M, but honestly, next time I see a rattler in my neighborhood, I'll probably kill it, too. Nothing personal. : )