Monday, April 25, 2011

Blessed

There are so many things I want to blog about, but I've been in bed for 3 days solid with a nasty flu and horrible headache. Still, I want to post this before going back to bed because I don't want to forget--in the years to come--how blessed we were by one person whom God placed in our lives at the exact moment we needed him.

We have a friend of ours living in our back yard in a tent (that's how he wanted it). His name is Taylor and he is 23 years old and responsible far beyond his years. He's been here for three weeks, I think, and will be here three more weeks until he goes on a short-term adventure to Indonesia. The deal was that he would live here, rent-free, and help us out every once in a while around the house and babysit the girls (who adore him) a few times. In his first week here, he had already filled his end of the bargain.

First of all, he loves our girls. He actually spends his time off work sometimes just playing with them in the front yard. He makes up riddles for them to solve and sent them on a hunt in the back yard to find a hidden treasure. In the evenings, when he comes home from work and we are in the living room playing a game as a family, he asks if he can join in. He teaches the girls about the great outdoors and even reads to them. And yes, he has even sat through more than one of their silly videos.

Last week, Taylor planted a vegetable garden with the girls. This was a huge blessing because Eric's dad usually does this each year but this year he has to take care of his wife who is dying. I almost cried as I saw the three of them digging and planting and Taylor educating them about horticulture, which is one of his specialties. When someone delights in my children, not because they have to or they are being paid to, it touches the deepest place in my heart.

Just now, Taylor took the girls on an outing with him to do some painting at Eric's new shop. This was a blessing to me because I don't have the energy to do anything with them today. Over the past few weeks, Taylor has been getting off work in the early afternoons and just hanging out with the girls. This also has been a huge blessing to me because I've been battling with headaches more often than not lately and it's nice to know there's someone keeping an eye on them while I rest.

Eric has been blessed, also. He has enjoyed having another male in the house (yes, he sometimes does feel outnumbered). Eric and Taylor have had some great, long talks in the evenings. And I could write a separate blog post about their culinary creations. Those two can cook up a gourmet meal!

We sure are going to miss Taylor when he leaves for Indonesia, not because of what he does for us, but because of how he has blessed us by just being himself. He has become a member of our family and I thank God for placing him in our lives.

5 comments:

Shae said...

You definitely are very blessed! He sounds like a wonderful companion! :)

Michele said...

Crying a little here thinking about how God blesses you and takes care of you even unlooked for. I'll be praying for Taylor as he leaves you and pray for your family as you miss him. Much love to you all.

Hans-Georg Lundahl said...

Nasty flu, you said? I had a sore throat. But I do want to congratulate you on good taste about the yellow and green on your lodge, and Happy Easter Week!

James said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ATSmith said...

that's awesome. i totally agree with you about how wonderful it feels when others take delight in your children--just because.