Saturday, March 5, 2011

Milking a goat

I've always wanted to milk a cow. It's on my top ten list of things I want to do before I die. Well, I decided to settle for a goat and during my recent trip to Indiana, I got to milk Juni--a swiss alpine goat. I was so excited! My friend, Trudie, who owns the goats, showed me how to milk them. I tried and tried and finally got 1/8 of a teaspoon to come out (it is so much harder than it looks). After several minutes and me only getting a few tablespoons-worth of milk out of Juni, Trudie said--in full humor, "Is that enough to satisfy your dream or do I have to stand here for an hour and watch you milk Juni?" I laughed and let Trudie finish, which took all of five minutes! A few minutes after that, we were sitting down to breakfast with fresh, raw goat's milk. It was delicious! Below is a self-portrait of me and Heidi, the other goat, who loved the camera. I think she wanted to eat it!


No comments: