Thursday, January 20, 2011

Broken Crayons

Autumn likes to peel the paper off of the crayons. Then they break. So when I saw this clever craft idea in a kids' magazine, I started saving the broken crayons. I've been saving them for a year and yesterday we had so much fun making new heart shaped crayons out of the cast-offs. I think I might have had more fun than the girls. We are planning to make more so we'll have enough for all of the preschool/homeschool valentines the girls give out. We just need more broken crayons...we might try the thrift store. Here's the instructions below, so you can get in on the fun! Feel free to borrow my heart-shaped muffin molds. I have two.

Have fun breaking the ones that need to be smaller, or...

...use karate moves to break them by hand!


This is about the size you need them to be.




Fill each mold on a mini heart-shaped muffin pan to the top with crayons. We made some rainbow and some the same color scheme. Don't use black, dark blue or brown crayons, as they tend to overtake the other colors.
Bake them at 250 degrees for 20-25 minutes in a silicone pan or 10-15 minutes in a metal pan. I bought Wilton silicone pans at Ben Franklin, but I bought the last two. You can buy them at Michael's and probably Target. The silicone pans make it easier to pop out the crayons.

Wait until the crayons are solid (at least 15 minutes) before popping them out of the pan. Let them cool for another 15 minutes. Note: They look solid on the bottom, but don't fear, when popped out of the pan, the mixed colors are on the other side.

Not only are then cute, when you use them they write in a rainbow of color. Have fun, and if you do the craft, let me know how they turned out.

4 comments:

Michele said...

What a great idea! We aren't quite at the crayons all over the place stage, but I'm going to file this one away! Thanks. :-)

Sweet Pea said...

That is such an awesome idea! I am in the field of Early Childhood Education and I am very excited to use this idea one day for the children:) thanks so much for sharing!

heidibelle said...

I have been wanting to do this for awhile. I ended up leaving our crayons in France, so I'll have to start saving up again. And I'll have to find some molds. What a fun idea. I bet I could melt them outside in the sun today!

Christine H. said...

Well, after I paid $10.00 EACH for 2 heart molds at Ben Franklin, they came out with them in the dollar section at Target. Ayi, yai, yai, yai, yai!!!