Friday, October 15, 2010

That's a great idea!


This morning, I woke up earlier than normal. Eric was already out of the house and--amazingly--the girls were still sleeping! I had some time before breakfast and starting school, so I tiptoed into the kitchen, fixed myself a big cup of coffee, grabbed a warm blanket, curled up on the recliner and started to read my book for Bible study. I usually don't get to have quiet time until after lunch, so I was feeling particularly warm and fuzzy inside as I sipped my coffee and cracked open the book. Well, I'm sure you can imagine what happened next. No sooner had I finished the first page than I heard the pitter-patter of four little feet in the hallway. "Oh well," I thought to myself. "It was a nice idea, anyway."

I transferred myself and the blanket to the couch and let the girls curl up with me as I read them their newest favorite book from the library. Then we had breakfast and Amber asked what I was doing earlier. I told her that I was about to read my book when I was interrupted by two little fairy princesses. Amber said, "I have an idea. Why don't you take a long bath and read your book in the tub."

It was a great idea, I knew that. And Amber was a sweetheart for suggesting it. Still, my gut reaction was to just get a quick shower and put off my quiet time until later today. Then I paused and thought, "I have plenty of time this morning. I should take my daughter's suggestion." I filled the tub and grabbed my book and coffee that I had yet to finish drinking. As I trotted off toward the bathroom, Amber got out the play dough for her and Autumn. She turned to me and said, "How's my idea working, Mom?" Speechless, I gave her a big smile and marveled at how blessed I was to have Amber, my daughter who is very often filled with compassion and gratitude and a giving heart.

It was perhaps the best quiet time I've had, not because of the warm bath or because I got to sip my coffee for once or because I got great insight from a good book. It was the best quiet time because of the selfless suggestion of a 7-year-old who demonstrated kindness beyond her years.

1 comment:

Michele said...

You are definitely blessed with some sweet girls! God knew what you would need.