Thursday, August 12, 2010

Cooking & Crafts

This summer, I've been doing a lot of cooking and baking. Tuesday I made a big bowl of guacamole, an even bigger bowl of peach salsa (3 jars) and six loaves of chocolate zucchini bread. I was in the kitchen for 4 hours that day! We have a lot of summer produce that I don't want to go to waste, so I make salsa of some sort once a week and either a cobbler or quick bread every week.

When I'm not in the kitchen, I've been scrapbooking and making jewelry. I've made several necklaces and some bracelets. My daughters and I have made scrapbooks together, too, and crafts using items out of the recycle bin. They are getting quite creative.

I also read two and a half books.

What have you been doing this summer?

4 comments:

Michele said...

I would love to make peach salsa, but my husband doesn't like peaches... but I'll have to beg for it anyway, hey, I can eat it! I've been perfecting my regular salsa recipe and making my own tortillas and beans. I've been spending a lot of time on the patio spraying Jonathan with the hose. Sadly, not enough reading and no vacations. But it's fun hearing about all you're doing, I'm jealous of your garden!

Christine H. said...

I say make it anyway, then you'll be guaranteed to get to eat it. : )I've always wanted to make my own tortillas. That's awesome! Our garden isn't that much of anything to be jealous over. We have zucchini, tomatoes and string beans, along with cilantro and basil in season. We get our fruit from friends here and there. We trade a lot of fish for produce, too! Thanks for sharing what you've been up to. Is it hot there? We have had a mild summer so far, unlike Ojai. We usually have hot summers like you.

Michele said...

Tortillas are so easy, I'll send you the recipe. Your garden sounds lovely, I would save heaps if I grew all that, that's what I buy all the time. It has been pretty hot, but the usual; we had a really nice June, humid July and now hot August.

Christine H. said...

I would love the recipe. Thanks! We were just talking with a friend who was here for dinner that in Phoenix it's hard to grow anything, except flowers and strawberries. I remember growing up my mom and I tried to grow tomatoes but it was too hot and the tomato worms ate the few we grew. Depressing. I'm sorry you can't grow much there. At least there's the Farmer's Market. Does Glendale or Peoria have one?