Sunday, July 11, 2010

A Rose by any other name...

This is the "out-of-the-blue" conversation I had with Autumn, my 4 1/2-year-old, at the dinner table tonight.

Autumn: Mommy, I want to change my name.

Me: Why?

Autumn: I want to change it to a pretty name--a really, really pretty name.

Me: Like what?

Autumn: Rose. (That's her new friend's name.) It's pretty, like a flower. I want a flower name.

Me: We're not changing your name. Daddy and I carefully chose your name. You were born in autumn when the pretty leaves are falling from the trees.

Autumn: What does Amber's name mean?

Me: It's a color.

Autumn: I want a color name.

4 comments:

frisky said...

Wait! Now I want a color name!

hestermom said...

HAHAHA! "out of the blue!" haha. so cute.

Christine H. said...

Okay Lisa, I am not even kidding when I say that my "out-of-the-blue" statement had nothing to do with the fact that Autumn wanted a color name. Wow! I am clever even when I am not planning to be! : )

ATSmith said...

haha. that's hilarious.