Thursday, May 20, 2010

Perspective: found on the sidewalk

I just recovered from having the flu. I spent the last four days in bed--literally. While I lay in bed day after day, my outlook on life got grimmer and grimmer until I felt like I was in a pit of despair (no wise cracks from Princess Bride). Not only was I sick, but I had my usual headaches and there were a few other troubles thrown in the mix. It made for one hurting, crabby and very sad Christine. Until last night. I decided to surrender all of my troubles to the Lord. I had been doing that all along, but my natural tendency to control things found me taking all my troubles back.

Today I felt better--physically, emotionally and spiritually. It was the first day I felt good and so I decided to go on a walk, since I had missed a week of my morning walks. On my way back home, I saw a friend of mine and crossed the street to chat with her. I inquired about her husband, who recently had back surgery-gone-bad. She told me that he has not improved and for now he can't even walk. He can't even walk. He can't walk. I had to pause when I returned home to let that sink in. I felt pretty miserable after my inaugural walk (a touch of the flu still in my body) but I was still able to walk. I walked to the bedroom to change my clothes. I walked to the kitchen to get a glass of water. I walked. It put things in perspective for me. Now I'm not discounting my former feelings of despair or pain or sadness. Most of them were valid and true. But I got out of bed this morning and I can walk.

I can walk.

I can walk.

No comments: