Friday, April 2, 2010

Mud Mask

"Where did you get the mud mask?" Laurisa (a Young Life leader) asked me in the bathroom as she washed the mud off of her face after our Woodleaf skit.

"From the backyard," I replied.

"Ewwww! You put REAL mud on my face!" She sounded shocked.

"I told you I was going to put mud on your face," I said in defense.

"Yeah, but I didn't know you were going to use REAL mud," Laurisa said, laughing.

"I got it out of one of the planters in the backyard," I said. "But don't worry, I took out all the worms."

"I think my eyes are stinging," she said.

"From the mud?" I asked.

"No, from the sunscreen," she said. I wasn't planning on really putting sunscreen on my face, I was just in the moment."

"Yeah, I couldn't believe you actually used the sunscreen. That was so cool," I said. "We did a good job..."


Laurisa and I are long-time, super close friends and it is so much fun being a Young Life leader with her. We work so well together--it is a blessing. The above conversation took place after we performed a Woodleaf commercial for the teens in my living room during Young Life last week. You see, at Woodleaf (a Young Life camp), one of my favorite events is the messy games. It's the highlight of my week at camp. We get dressed in clothes and shoes that we will never wear again and run relay games in the mud. Not just any mud, though--a huge field of Woodleaf's famous orange dirt is wet down until it is so muddy you can hardly walk without slipping. The games end in a huge mud fight where we are covered from head to toe in the orange slime. We get so muddy that we have to wash off in the cold lake or be hosed off before walking back to our cabins to take showers. One year I had mud in my ears for days afterward. I love it!

That is why I put REAL mud on Laurisa's face in my living room. It was only a little bit of mud compared to the mud fight she'll get to be a part of at camp. I can't wait!

No comments: