Thursday, December 31, 2009

Spanish

Spanish is a beautiful language! I love the sound of it as it flows from my neighbor Rosa's lips. I just wish I knew what she was saying.

Tonight we were invited over for a New Year's Eve gathering. We ate homemade enchiladas (authentic Mexican-style) that Sylvia cooked right in front of us. We ate posole and tamales made just hours ago. We drank punch with pear slices and a splash of tequila. The girls ran around with the dozens of cousins that were there. We felt a part of the family, as we always do when we are invited over to one of their parties. Their family is huge, but they always have room for us.

I was mesmerized by the way Sylvia cooked with such ease. I watched her as she made countless enchiladas and I asked her where she learned to cook. She said she learned from her mother and she is trying to pass on the cooking lessons to her daughters. I figured if I watched her long enough, I would learn some cooking lessons, as well. If only she would pass on her mother's mole sauce recipe...

We sat around the bonfire and I listened as they all spoke the beautiful language. I laughed, even though I had no idea what I was laughing about. I spoke the few Spanish words I knew, and I used a lot of sign language. It was fun.

Eric brought fireworks (little sparklers) and we set them off in the driveway. The kids all screamed with delight. Autumn cried, but she got over it quickly. Then they played hide-n-seek until it was way past their bedtime.

I love living in community with my neighbors. I love how each neighbor has something to contribute to the others. Even now as I type this, I can hear the festivities still going on next door, and I feel so blessed that God has put us here in this house, in this neighborhood, in this city.

Happy New Year!

2 comments:

Andrew Megan Smith said...

yeah! love to hear of neighbor bonding, and I love that you used your spanish words you knew! keep loving those around you christine, it's contageous!

Christine H. said...

Thanks! It's nice to hear that!