Friday, December 4, 2009

Dance

When my oldest daughter, Amber, is happy, she smiles. When her little sister, Autumn, is happy, it shows from the top of her head to the bottom of her feet. To say that she jumps for joy would be an understatement. Autumn has always been our little expressive one, from her many facial expressions to the way she dances around the house to how she jumps on the couch, her bed, anything that has a bounce. She's kind-of like Tigger from the Winnie the Pooh movies.

So last night when we took a family trip to Trader Joe's in Ventura, her enthusiasm should not have surprised me. In the two or three blocks it took to get to the main road, we passed by a few houses with their Christmas lights already up and shinning. With every house she saw, Autumn got more and more animated with excitement. It's a good thing she was belted into the car or she may have jumped through the moon roof.

"Oooh, look at this one, sissy," she said as she pointed to a lit-up house.

"Oh, I love that one!"

"Oh, that one is my favorite!"

"Sissy, look out my window. Look at that house!"

"Oooh, there's Santa!"

"Oh my goodness, that one is my favorite!"

"Thank you, daddy, for showing us the lights!"

We were just driving to the store. Next week we will officially take the girls out to look at Christmas lights. Just think how excited she will be that night!

Autumn's enthusiasm for just about anything got me to thinking about my own life. Am I full of joy? Do I simply smile or do I jump up and down with delight, even if only in my heart?

The Bible tells us that David danced before the Lord. He threw off his outer clothing and, in reckless abandon, he danced. He danced at the risk of being ridiculed, mocked and misunderstood. He was joyful and he let it show.

Now I'm not suggesting we go dancing around in public in our underwear. But I'm wondering if we adults--if I--should throw caution to the wind more often and take real delight in things, even ordinary things. I tried to do that this morning on my walk. I tried to delight in the fall leaves on the ground, in the wreaths hung on the doors of my neighbor's houses, in the fact that I am breathing. Who knows, maybe tomorrow on my walk I'll even lift my hands in joy. And hopefully, my 4-year-old's zest for life will rub off on me and I'll even learn to dance.

5 comments:

Michele said...

This is a really good reminder. I have been made aware of this as well with my little guy around.

Rebecca said...

NICE post. And very timely. :)

Steve and Donna Douglas said...

We learn a lot from our children.

frisky said...

Sigh. That was nice. Good job Christine. :)

Kari said...

Love that enthusiasm :)