Wednesday, November 18, 2009

To Blog or Not to Blog?

That is the question.

I'm thinking of quitting the blog thing. And if I do quit, it will be cold turkey. None of this blog posting once every three months or whatever. I won't erase my blog, but I might just stop posting stories & pictures.

The reason I am thinking of this is that out of my last 7 blog entries I have received zero comments. I'm not complaining, I'm just wondering if it's worth it--writing stories & posting pics if people aren't even checking in anymore. I do know three people who read my blog and don't comment, but two of those people live in Ojai and I see them every Sunday, so it's not like they don't know what I'm up to. The other person is my mom, and I talk to her at least once a week on the phone.

The only downside of not blogging is that this has become like a journal. I rarely write in my journal anymore because I post things on here. And, I do love writing things for other people to read, but once again, if people aren't reading...

I blame Facebook. Oh yes I do. It's just like every other technological advance; something else suffers. Before email came along, I actually corresponded with friends the good old-fashioned way--snail mail. I am still sad that people email instead of writing letters or cards. Some people even send Christmas cards by email. Oh just shoot me if I ever succumb to that! Anyway, after email there was blogging and then came Facebook (maybe not in that order). Once Facebook really took off, people started posting less on their blogs and people started reading less and commenting less on other blogs. Sometimes I wish I'd never joined the Facebook world. Even if I didn't though, the inevitable would happen.

Gosh, I sound like the world's going to end, don't I? It's not that bad, of course, but it is sad to see the blogging craze die down. Hey, maybe that's why it did. Maybe it was just a passing craze.

Anyway, for those of you who are still reading this and can take a few moments to comment, what do you think?

27 comments:

frisky said...

I'm commenting! I'm commenting! I'm commenting! I'm commenting! I'm commenting! I'm commenting! I'm commenting! I'm commenting! I'm commenting! I'm commenting! I'm commenting! I'm commenting! I'm commenting! I'm commenting!

Christine H. said...

Yes Gina, but what are you commenting???? Say something already! : )

hestermom said...

I confess, I have been a lazy blogger. I have been reading your blog, but not commenting because I have been so busy myself. But, whether you continue the blog or not, I love getting to read what's up with the Hodge Lodge, and even though I do live in the same town, I don't see you often, so this (and Facebook) are my only ways to stay "in the know." Well, I could write or call too. =) But, you see my problem... If I am having a hard time leaving a blog comment, then I will have a really hard time calling or writing. I know, I am lame.

Christine H. said...

No, you are NOT lame, Lisa. I'm glad you were honest.

Michele said...

I am also in the camp that reads your blog and doesn't always comment, but I do love reading about your life and seeing what another mom is up to. It's up to you of course, but I'll try and do better! :-) Love you!

Christine H. said...

I thought of you, Michele, but you sometimes comment. You don't have to comment more. It's no big deal! : )

Michele said...

You are so funny :-) Seriously, I love your posts, it makes me feel like we live closer!

Steve and Donna Douglas said...

Forgive us. Steve & I read your blog and don't comment. We enjoy knowing your family is doing well other than through the once a year Christmas letter. A good reason to keep blogging is it gives us insight into your life and reminds us to pray.

purplenympha said...

I just created my "first ever" blog today...I donno much abt blogging. But I am learning. I read few of your blogs. They are interesting!

Christine H. said...

Thanks, Steve & Donna. This is the kind of feedback I need. I am still debating the issue inside my head.

Kathy said...

I am constantly debating the same thing. Maybe it's a good checks and balances to keep asking?

Many people dont comment, in cyber space or "real life" but are there nonetheless and silently smiling:)

ATSmith said...

I actually like my older sister's view on blogging which is that she finally decided that her blog was for HER ...so if people comment, great, and if people don't comment, great. I still read your blog : ) A lot of times I interact about blog material face to face with the author, or Ryan and I will chat/laugh about a blog post we read. But I rarely comment anymore. Define the purpose of your blog and expectations and go from there : )

Ryan said...

You know you can connect your blog to facebook right? Then your posts automatically show up as "notes." It's a perfect marriage.

Mom Martha said...

I always read it because it is a fun read...and I never comment!

Mom Martha said...

I always read it because it is a fun read and I never comment! :( :_)

Mom Martha said...

Wait...did I tell you that I read your blog A LOT and totally enjoy reading it and I live in Ojai but I never see you!

Christine H. said...

Okay, okay, you convinced me...I'll keep blogging, but I might not blog as often as I used to because of homeschooling, being a wife & mom, youth mentor, etc. But I will keep on blogging! Are y'all happy?

Christine H. said...

But please comment from time to time or I might renege on my promise.

Mom Martha said...

OK...
I just might have "stuff" that you need for school.
I know that Amber Smith would second that one!

Christine H. said...

Oooh, I love free "stuff." Let me know when I can come and get it, if it's up for grabs. Thanks, Martha!

Michele said...

No pressure Christine, when you feel like you have stuff to share we'd love to hear it! Know you are loved no matter what!

Kristy said...

Christine, I love your blog, but don't always take time to write comments. If it fulfills your need to write, do it! Don't do it for others all the time - do it for yourself. :)
Kristy

Christine H. said...

Yes Kristy, I agree, this blog is for ME. Right now because of my headaches, I am not blogging, but I will resume blogging again, soon I hope.

Rebecca said...

I came to the same conclusion a few weeks ago!! Facebook is nice, but the blog is something I can read back through-- over years-- and remember what we were doing and thinking and learning. For somebody with a memory as terrible as mine, that's valuable. And what fun for our kids to look back on this someday!! Facebook doesn't offer that. But yeah, I haven't been so good with the commenting anywhere lately. Just too much going on these days. It kind of comes and goes in seasons, I think. Blog on, friend!!

frisky said...

Oh! I figured out why I don't post a comment all the time... 'cause most the time I just read 'em on Google Reader instead of clicking on the link. Duh!!!

LysaLy said...

Christine-
I am back reading your blog because of your FB post just now about the door to door saleman and the color of your house. I had to return to your blog to see that adorable yellow lodge. I don't visit your blog very often, but do so enjoy reading it when I do. BLOG!!! That is my vote! LOL!
And I'm sorry I got ya on FB...NOT!
Lysa

Christine H. said...

Ha ha, Lysa! I am glad I joined FB. Thanks! Really!
And I will keep blogging. Just not as often.