Friday, September 18, 2009

Small Town High School Football

Tonight was the first home game for Nordhoff, our city's only public high school. Eric and the girls and I went to the game and we had a great time! The couple in front of us were saints because Autumn must have kicked each of them at least 100 times, as she played musical chairs. First she sat next to Eric, then she sat next to me, then she stood on the bleachers, then she sat on my lap, then Eric's lap, then she tried to lay down, then she started the whole process all over again. The couple kept telling us that they didn't mind, and finally they said, "Stop worrying. We have 12 grandkids. We've had much worse happen to us."

During the game, Amber kept asking me questions about football. Those of you who know me well are probably laughing right now. I know nothing about football. First Amber asked about the players on the sidelines and told me that they must get bored just standing there the whole game. I told her that some of them get to play.

"See those guys on the field right now. They're the offensive people or group or team or something. When the other team has the ball, then the defensive people or group or whatever you call them go out on the field to play."

She asked me what the white lines on the field were for and I told her that I think there are five yards in between each line (am I right?)

Every time I said that "we had the ball" or that "we scored," Amber would say, "Mommy, WE don't have the ball, THEY do, pointing to the players on the field." I tried to explain that "we" means our team, not us personally, and "they" means the opposing team. I know I got that one right.

The funniest thing that happened was when Amber asked why we were so anxious when the other team had scored and was now down by only two points. I explained to her, loudly I might add, that "they were going for a 3-point conversion." I was so proud of myself for knowing that, until the kind man in front of me said, "Actually, it's a 2-point conversion."

Autumn also asked me questions all night, but most of them were about the our opponents, the Pirates. She kept asking where the Pirates were. I kept telling her that they were the guys with the white and orange uniforms on the field. Then it dawned on me why she was so confused, so I said, "The Pirates are football players, not pirates like what mommy dressed up for on Halloween." She was still confused, so I said, "The pirates are wearing white, with orange helmets. They aren't wearing eye patches and carrying swords." I don't know if she ever really understood.

It was a very fun evening, and we won: 14 to 12. Yay!

1 comment:

Michele said...

How fun for you! I was telling my husband the other day how we went to every football game at U of A, mostly because it was cheap!