Saturday, July 25, 2009

My Summer Reading List

I have been having a wonderful, relaxing summer, and it's not even over yet! I have already read 5 1/2 books, and I'm reading one more for the next book club. I'm not bragging, it's just that I've never read so much in one small time frame since college (and that wasn't pleasure reading). I have really enjoyed slowing down and doing something I used to find pleasure in. Now I find myself looking forward to the next book.

The books I've read are:

The Apothecary's Daughter by Julie Klassen (for the summer book club I joined)-- I highly recommend it for an enjoyable, relaxing read, 400+ pages.

Becoming the Answer to Our Prayers by Shane Clairborne & Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove-- I highly recommend it. It's a reflective book based on the premise that we shouldn't just pray and then sit back and do nothing; we should be about God's kingdom so that we are "the answer to our own prayers."

Hidden Treasures-- a little 200-pager, a romance read that is very predictable. Don't waste your time.

The Noticer by Andy Andrews (for the summer book club)-- I highly recommend it. It's a shorter book that is easy to read in just a few sittings. It's supposedly non-fiction and enjoyable and insightful.

Sisterchicks on the Loose by Robin Jones Gunn--I read this book from start to almost finish while Eric and I were at Catalina Island. It's very enjoyable and a fun read that will have you laughing out loud at times.

Have a New Kid by Friday by Dr. Kevin Leman (I skimmed through this book)-- This one was NOT a pleasure book, but it had some good ideas for me to implement into my parenting style. It wasn't the best book I've read on parenting, though.

3 comments:

hestermom said...

Hey Christine, do you still have that book, "Have a New Kid by Friday?" I had wanted to read that, so if you have it, could I borrow it? If not, no worries, there are many other books on my list before that one. =)

Christine H. said...

I borrowed it from Doris Christensen and I just returned it to her today. But I know she would love to loan it to you. Let me know and I can call you with her phone #.

The next parenting book I am going to read this fall is Creative Correction by Lisa Wenchel. I just got it from Amazon and it looks good. I've read parts of it before from a friend. I'll let you know. I was even thinking of doing it as a Blog Book Club, but I don't know if people want to do that since Summer is half over. What do you think? Or we could do that in the Fall, but with Life Design, I don't know if people would do two things? Or, maybe we could do it over Christmas break when Life Design doesn't meet? What are your insights???

frisky said...

I say wait till Christmas break! LD study is going to need my FULL attention!