Thursday, June 4, 2009

School's Out for Amber!

Today was the last day of homeschooling for Amber. Next week Autumn will finish preschool and then we will officially start the summer here at the Hodge Lodge--a summer of mostly relaxation. Yay!
There were so many cute things Amber did and said during the last school year, but I will share two funny things that I wrote down...
Back in March, Amber was doing her vocabulary word hunt through the house. I write the words on index cards and then hide them all over the living room. When she finds a word, she has to say it and then say the word in a sentence. I got the idea from another homeschool mom, Lisa. Sometimes Amber finds two words and tries to use them in the same sentence. This particular day, she found four words right in a row, and saved them to use in one sentence (Jim, dig, fib, wig). Her sentence turned out to be more of a short poem. Here's what she came up with on her own:

Jim is a pirate
He likes to dig
He told a fib
while he stole a wig.

A few weeks ago, I was giving Amber a spelling test (which is her favorite thing to do at school). I say the word, sound it out and say it in a sentence. The word was "win" and my sentence was "I am going to win the race." Amber said, "Mom, I have a question...How does someone know they are going to win a race?" Ha ha, she got me there. I guess I am just a little bit optimistic--and competitive. Nothing gets by Amber.

I hope as the school year winds down, you and your family will have a fun and relaxing summer. After all, isn't that what summer break is for?

Working in her workbook

Taking her last test

1 comment:

heidibelle said...

Good work Amber... how awesome to finish a whole year of school! Enjoy your summer break!!! What grade will you be in next year???