Sunday, March 8, 2009

Never a dull moment

I love the idea of living in community, and while I must admit that I do not want to live in a commune, I like the fact that some days/weekends it feel very much like communal living around our home.


Take this weekend for example. Yesterday afternoon we entertained the three girls from next door, who frequently come over to play hide-n-seek inside and outside the house. That evening we had out-of town friends over for some of Eric's now famous "cream of chanterelle soup." We enjoyed sharing a meal and having deep conversation afterward while the children ran around the house, playing without one argument or disagreement. We are training our kids at a young age to live in community.


Then today after church our 9-year-old next-door-neighbor, McKayla, came over to play, as is the tradition now every weekend. Sometimes I feel like I have a third daughter--a very sweet "daughter" who is so easy to love and gets along well with my girls. After McKayla left we got a call from a neighbor's friend who is in town and was supposed to already be on the road back to Oregon. Their trip home was delayed when they discovered their brakes needed to be replaced. While Eric rarely works on a Sunday, he told them to come over and in less than 30 minutes they were on the road again. While the men were outside replacing the brakes, I was inside entertaining the rest of the family--two moms and four adorable little girls. We played with the playdoh we had made earlier today and I got to know a family that I may never see again. We asked them to stay for dinner, but they needed to go.

As they left, a friend from church arrived with his spear gun and wanted advice from Eric on how to rig it. As they chatted--I kid you not--another friend stopped by to trade Eric wahoo (tuna) for chanterelle mushrooms and to get Eric's soup recipe. Of course, the three men talked awhile about fish and 'shrooms and cars and boats as I cleaned up the playdoh mess. Eric heated up a bowl of his famous soup for one of the men to sample, and I thought, "This is communal living."

This is what I envisioned our home to be. I want people to feel free to pop-in unannounced for food and fellowship, a cup of water or coffee, assistance or a listening ear.

Now I'm going out for a quiet cup of coffee. Communal living can be exhausting!

10 comments:

ATSmith said...

Those are the most fulfilling of days!

Ryan said...

That sounds great Christine...so much better than big fences and gated "community."

heidibelle said...

We really enjoy the community your home is... we are headed back to our community tomorrow. Pray for us. :)

try2bAsunbeam said...

That sounds like the most pleasant of days. I love to have company, but I don't think I even KNOW that many people! lol Shows that people feel "safe" in your company. How wonderful!

frisky said...

It ain't called the "Hodge Lodge" for nothin'!!!

Rebecca said...

VERY cool. :)

Jeff Frazee said...

Thanks for your community. It will be fun to compare American community with Malian community when we get there.

Michele said...

Apparently you both have the gift of hospitality and are good at it!! We look forward to coming to the Hodge Lodge someday and partaking in it!

Christine H. said...

Please come, Michele! We would love to have you & your family visit and see our cute little town! And I know you would love the beach nearby!!!!su

Michele said...

We would love it and it's definitely on our list of places to visit!