Friday, December 19, 2008

Hurting Heart

Wednesday afternoon I received devastating news that a good friend of mine died unexpectedly from carbon monoxide poisoning. Her name is Kelly (Nordyke) Murphy. When the fog in my head clears, I will try to write something about this amazing young woman whom I had the privilege of mentoring from when she was in 6th grade to her her high school graduation. But for now, I will share a small story about my 3-year-old, Autumn Brooke.

After receiving the sad news Wednesday, I was sitting on the couch crying when Autumn asked if I had an owie, if I was hurt anywhere. I told her that my heart was hurt and she immediately went into the kitchen and opened the refrigerator. She brought back a cold orange and put it over my heart and said, "That will make it feel better, mommy." And for a few moments, it did feel better.


Kelly and her husband, Joel. Summer 2005.
Teen Girls Bible Study in my home. Kelly is 4th from the right.

Forest Home Winter Jr. High Camp. Kelly is on the bottom left.

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Beautiful post and Amber has such a big heart to know how to help yours. I am still crying and in shock. Praying for you and all those who knew and loved Kelly.

LysaLy said...

I am so sorry for your loss. I am thinking of you.

heidibelle said...

It is so sad... I still can't believe it. How is Joel doing? That is so sweet what Autumn did. Kids are so dear and sweet sometimes. It is hard to explain to them why we are so sad...

Christine H. said...

Joel was released from the hospital yesterday, and is doing okay from what I heard. The baby is fine--actually he's not a baby anymore; he's two. Mike, Retha, the boys, as well as Kari & Stephen are in Colorado right now--arrived yesterday. Joel's parents flew in to Colorado from Ireland as well. I will keep you posted if I hear anything new.

Alexa said...

I found some of those pictures the other day and they are so much more special to me.