Monday, November 3, 2008

Falling Back

One of the things I loved about growing up in Arizona is that we never ever had to change our clocks. Arizona is always on Daylight Savings Time and I think it's the smartest state in the union because of that. To say that I hate the whole changing the clocks thing is an understatement.

First of all, we have a bazillion clocks in the house. We received a lot of clocks for our wedding; it was the "multiple present" we received. So with those clocks and the oven, microwave, timer, car clocks, etc., I have to change 14 clocks.

Second, I am a little (okay, a lot) OCD, and so changing 14 clocks can be a frustration. Gina and Michele may recall a recent Monk episode where Adrian is in agony over changing the time. That's me. First I change the timer clock and then take that clock throughout the house, changing each of the other clocks to match the time on the timer clock. Yeah, I know, it's a sickness.

But above all else, the third reason I hate "falling back" is because I have kids. I have two little girls who share a room and who get up at 7:00 every morning like clockwork (pun intended). Ever since we changed our clocks, they have still been getting up at 7:00, only now it's really 6:00. Their bodies don't know that we "fell back" and they are up and raring to go before the sun has made a proper appearance. I know it's only been two days, but this happens every year and it goes on for weeks before they adjust. They know they are not allowed to get out of bed until their clock says 7:00 or later, and they know that they are not allowed to talk until then, too. But seriously, try to keep two girls from talking is almost impossible. While they try to quiet down and be silent for the next hour until their clock says 7:00, it just doesn't happen sometimes. And I can't go back to sleep once they are up; it's just how my body is.

So, there you have it....my gripe session...why I hate the changing of the clocks. Now I must go to bed because 6:00 comes too early.

5 comments:

Michele said...

I can just see you running around like Monk and being totally stressed over it! Don't be stressed! Although it is easy for me to say, being one of those lucky Arizonans!

frisky said...

And to try to get all the clocks to the same second is what really gets me!
Really though, I claim it. I WILL NOT let Billy do any of the clocks, I have to do them all. He wouldn't care if they were a couple minutes off. Whatever.

hestermom said...

Okay, I am totally with you on this one. The boys have been getting up at 5:30am, and I am not quite ready to be up at that time!! Especially since I have usually just finished feeding Ezra!!

Jeff Frazee said...

I purposely set my clocks at all different, ballpark times. It keeps me on my toes. Otherwise, I don't think to go somewhere until it's time to leave. I don't actually use clocks all that often... maybe that's the problem...

frisky said...

I love you dearly Jeff, but after that comment, I'm glad I'm not married to you! LOL!!!