Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Irked!

Yesterday I was grateful, today I'm irked. (Is that a real word?) Just a few minutes ago I got so scared that my heart is still racing! Autumn is taking a nap, Amber is on the boat with Eric and I was sitting on the couch doing my Bible study when I heard a noise at the front of the house. I looked toward the door and saw the handle twisting this way and that. The door was locked, but it appeared that someone was trying to get in. I didn't hear a car drive up or anyone approach the house, so I was really scared. Even though it's only 2:00, my heart was pounding. The door knob continued to turn and I looked around the room for the closest, heaviest thing to defend myself. Then I saw a man walk away and toward the sidewalk. He put a bright yellow flier on both our cars and then on the flag of our mailbox before going to our neighbor's house. I opened the front door, retrieved the flier he put on the door knob and the other three fliers and came in the house, heat still racing, and called the number on the flier, a towing company in Ventura. I kindly (really) told the owner that I did not appreciate being scared, but more than that, it was a waste of paper to give me four fliers. He apologized and I said "thank you," and now I am sitting here fuming, taking my frustrations out on the keyboard. Some people clean when they're angry, I write! So, there you have it. I am a little less irked now. I will go back to reading my book.

P.S. Did anyone else in Ojai get multiple fliers? Just curious.

5 comments:

heidibelle said...

Did this guy just try and break into your house? I think I would be much more upset that he was trying your doorknob. That is crazy... I'm glad you are OK!

Christine H. said...

I guess I should have been more specific...I think he was trying to wedge the flier in-between the door and doorknob because when I opened the door, the flier fell to the ground. But I didn't know that at the time.

hestermom said...

I totally agree.. that sounds creepy.

ATSmith said...

Sorry you had to go through all of those emotions by yourself!! Ugh ... no fun.

frisky said...

That's weird.