Thursday, September 4, 2008

Loose Tooth!

Earlier I was on the phone when Amber, my 5-year-old, came to me in a fright.

"Mommy, there's something wrong with my tooth!" she said.
I immediately knew what was going on and I explained to her that she had a loose tooth. I told her that it was a normal occurrence with all little kids and then I told her about the Tooth Fairy.

Mommy: When your tooth falls out, I will give you a special box to put it in and you put the tooth under your pillow. In the middle of the night the Tooth Fairy will take the tooth and replace it with money...

Amber: Is the Tooth Fairy a girl or a boy?

Mommy: Little girls have girl Tooth Fairies and little boys have boy Tooth Fairies.

Amber: How can the Tooth Fairy lift my pillow when she is so small?

Mommy: The Tooth Fairy is very strong!

Amber: But how can she lift my pillow if my head is on it?

Mommy: The Tooth Fairy is very stealthy (had to explain that to her). She can get your tooth without you even knowing it! Besides, you're a heavy sleeper; you'll never know she was even there.

We had this conversation on the fly, as we were getting ready to leave the house. I didn't really have time to think about my answers, so I was pretty proud of myself for coming up with such quick responses. Hours went by and Amber brought up the subject again. She's a smart one!

Amber: Mommy, how will the Tooth Fairy know when my tooth is under my pillow?

Mommy: I have to go to the bathroom (which I did). I'll answer that question when I get back. (That gave me time to come up with a clever answer)...
Well, the Tooth Fairy has very good hearing. She can hear when little girls teeth fall out all over the world. When a tooth falls out, it makes a tiny "plink" noise. You can't hear it, but the Tooth Fairy can hear it, and then she knows to come to your house that night and look under your pillow. (I was feeling pretty smug about my answer!)

Amber: But how does she know where we live?

Mommy: The Tooth Fairy is very smart. She can follow that sound to your house.

Amber: Oh, she's very sneaky!

The conversation has ended for now, and I'm exhausted!

***

P.S. I am just tickled about this whole loose tooth thing. My little girl is getting bigger. Sniff. Sniff.

7 comments:

heidibelle said...

Wow... a loose tooth! Drew will be jealous. He really wants to loose a tooth. My family is a bit slow in that department... I didn't loose my last tooth till high school!!!

Christine H. said...

You know Amber is always ahead of the game (well, except for when we potty trained). Remember that she had ALL of her teeth by her first birthday! She is pretty excited.

I just heard that Taylor has her first loose tooth also. Amber will flip with joy when I tell her!

Christine H. said...

You know Amber is always ahead of the game (well, except for when we potty trained). Remember that she had ALL of her teeth by her first birthday! She is pretty excited.

I just heard that Taylor has her first loose tooth also. Amber will flip with joy when I tell her!

frisky said...

In our house, we usually have to come up with stories as to why The Tooth Fairy couldn't make it to our house the previous night, even though the tooth was under the pillow. "She's" even written notes to them before explaining.

Christine H. said...

The things we do fo our kids! The lies we lie for our kids! : )

hestermom said...

Caleb, unfortunately, lost his tooth to a scooter accident. I was not sure what we were going to do in regards to the tooth fairy. Finally, weeks later, Ben and I sat down to talk to Caleb about the tooth fairy. After just a few moments of conversation, he was already upset saying, "I don't want the tooth fairy to come into our house and into my room!" I took it as a sign and gave up. So instead we told him, how about you give Daddy your tooth, and we'll give you some money, and then we get to keep it safe? He liked that idea better. =) So glad that Amber is EXCITED instead of petrified at the thought of the tooth fairy!

LysaLy said...

My daughter, Payson, has lost 2 now. She just turned 6. The last one was wiggly FOREVER and when it came out we were on vacation, eating lunch, and she swallowed it! I'm all for writing a note to the Fairy. She now has 2 more wigglies (the top front). Spencer, age 9, is on his 2nd round of loosing teeth. He actually lost one while taking our state test at school and accidentally threw it in the garbage!
PS..I save ALL of their teeth..weird..I know!