Sunday, August 17, 2008

Fire Drill

My 5-year-old, Amber, is the self-appointed Fire Drill Instructor for our church. When she was 2 years old, she pulled the fire drill in the sanctuary, setting off the alarm. Well, she did it again today. After church--when there were a few dozen people left talking in the sanctuary--Amber saw the thingy on the wall that you pull in case of a fire. I was standing nearby talking to Lea when I saw Amber's hand go for the lever. She asked, "Mommy, what's this?" not waiting for an answer. I yelled, "Amber, don't touch..." Too late! The alarm went off. I tried to push the lever back up, but all I did was make it look like I had set off the alarm because all eyes were on me and my hand at the scene of the crime. I stepped away from the alarm, pointed my fingers at my daughter and said, "She did it! I didn't do it! She did it!" Yes, I really ratted out my daughter in front of everyone. She didn't care. And it didn't matter anyway because no one "believed" me. They said they didn't see anyone near the lever except me. Jeez! I'm still getting blamed for things I didn't do! (Oh wait, I'm the youngest child in my family; I was never blamed for anything!)

3 comments:

Melanie said...

I am just giggling away because I would have been doing the same thing. You have been busy lately! I just got caught up. Love the 80's night!

Rebecca said...

Riiiight, Christine. I'm sure that's exactly how it happened. ;)

Kari said...

a likely story.... ;)