Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Heavenly Man

I just finished reading a book that Eric's parents gave to us--The Heavenly Man: The remarkable true story of Chinese Christian Brother Yun. It is an amazing book that I highly recommend reading. It opened my eyes to how persecuted Christians are in some parts of the world. This autobiography is not a downer; on the contrary, Yun has an amazing way of sharing how he was persecuted without getting caught up in the "glamour" of it. In everything he wrote, he lead me to the cross of Jesus. I emailed my friend who is a missionary in Thailand and told her about the book. She had already read it and asked me what I liked about it. Rather than write a book review, below is my response.

It obviously challenged me in my faith. Even though it detailed all of his beatings and imprisonment, I still ended each day/each chapter with a sense of love for God and a desire to do His will. The graphic details in the book never overtook the strong message: "to be in God's will is the BEST place for me and everyone."

I was challenged by his devotion to the Lord all the time.
I loved the part where he talks about serving your family because that is God's ministry He has given to those who have families.

What else did I like? I like how he said to not pray for persecution to end in China because persecution brings people to the Lord and keeps the ministry going. And I like that he said persecution in China comes in the form of imprisonment and in America it comes in the form of words (rumors, slander, etc). He also encouraged people to be in ministry where they are at (like Eric and I are doing with the lost teens of Ojai.)
So, that's what I like about the book.

(If you live nearby and want to borrow the book, let me know. You will be blessed indeed!)

No comments: