Sunday, April 20, 2008

We have a winner!

Gina won my first blog contest, which does not surprise me because she is ultra competitive. Yes, it was an Antheraea Polyphemus moth. And yes, I did not even know the species until I looked it up on Wikipedia. But what I can't figure out is how she knew that from the front view of the moth. No where on Wikipedia does it show a front or head shot. So, Gina, you are one smart cookie! Below is a picture of the moth in my front yard and below that is a pic of the same moth shown in Wikipedia. My picture was taken on our tree in the front yard, and the poor thing had a missing wing. He was alive, though, and he was gone later, so he must have been able to still fly (or he became a bird's next meal). Anyway, it was so cool to take such close-ups of his fave because it's rare to have any creature sit still long enough to take pictures! I am glad y'all enjoyed my first blog contest. Gina, find me at church and I'll give you your prize! Congratulations!

My moth

Wikipedia's moth

2 comments:

frisky said...

Yes, yes, thank you, thank you. I'd like to take this moment to thank all the little people who helped me win. By "the little people", I mean my kids; without them I probably would know nothing about bugs... other than that they are gross.
Really though, thank you, Christine, for the cool gifts, I love them!

Rebecca said...

It's so fuzzy!