Thursday, April 24, 2008

Princess Tea Party

Last Saturday, one by one, the little princesses arrived at the Hodge Lodge, dropped off by their parents who would return for them three hours later. The first thing we did was take individual pictures of the little ladies in the studio I set up. Then all eight girls (ranging in ages from 4 to 6, I think) gathered in the tea room for The Princess Tea. We had cucumber sandwiches and quiche, and for dessert we served them brownies, muffins and scones. We put a candle in one of the brownies and sang "Happy Birthday" to Amber.

Then we moved to the dancing room where the princesses danced to classical music. Then I read to them "The Princess and The Kiss" (an excellent story). The girls were captivated. I also told them a story I wrote about "Giuseppe the Blind Hat Maker" and each girl got to wear a different hat from my hat collection. More pictures. More dancing. Opening gifts. And then the final event on my agenda: coloring princess color pages. It was all going so smoothly, so according to plan. And then I looked at the clock. It was not quite 1:00. The parents were not returning to pick up their little princesses until 2:00.

I thought everything that I planned to do would take three hours, no less. So, I had to do some improvising. I had decided ahead of time that Amber's room was off-limits because eight girls in one room equals fighting. So, they watched a 20-minute video "Strawberella." They put together a giant floor puzzle. More dancing. And when all else fails, dog-piling on Eric. It was one of the little girls' idea.

Next, someone suggested musical chairs. Yes, musical chairs. I don't know who suggested it, but it sounded like a great idea. We set up the kiddie chairs in the living room and started the music. When the music stopped and some of the girls did not get to sit in their original chair, we had a meltdown, then another and I decided musical chairs was not a good idea, after all!

I was saved, however, by my friend Lisa Hester, who had stayed for the party. She used to be a preschool teacher and she led the girls in a non-competitive, really fun game/dance that lasted the duration of the party. I really don't know what I would have done without her.

The party ended with the goodie bags. The girls received purses and gloves and got to take home their real china cup and saucer (I bought them at a thrift store). It was such a fun day. I am seriously considering professional party planning as a career when my girls are grown up and out of the house. I just have so much fun giving parties. The girls had a lot of fun, too!

6 comments:

eccobellea said...

You ROCK Christine! My girls are still talking about the Princess tea party and what fun they had. You'd make a wonderful party planner!! xoLea

Rebecca said...

Yes, that Lisa is quite handy in a pinch. Especially with little people. :) Looks like everybody had a lovely princess time! I'll have to check out the book for my girlies.

Michele said...

Too bad we don't live in the same state, I've thought of doing that too after all my years of working at the church! Thanks for sharing that fun day, I know how hard it is to find time to sit at the computer and I only have one little guy.

Kari said...

Looks like a fun time was had by all! xo

hestermom said...

We had a delightful time...Emma loves her new tea cup, so we had to have another tea party (just us and the boys) so she could REALLY use her cup, not just pretend. =)

heidibelle said...

That was a great idea... Maybe someday Harley will be ready for one.