Thursday, February 21, 2008

Remembering Steve

Stephen Edward Gow
July 2, 1963-February 18, 2008

Six weeks ago my brother was diagnosed with liver cancer. Monday he went home to be with the Lord. I was able to see him just hours before he died. Although most of you never had the privilege of meeting him, this is to remember him...

Try to think of Stephen Gow without smiling, whether it be on the inside or spread wide across your face. It just can’t be done. For Stephen was a man full of so much laughter that it spilled out wherever he went, landing on whoever was nearby. In fact, Stephen’s laughter was quite contagious; watching a comedy with him was sheer enjoyment. Stephen loved life! His favorite activities included camping and spending time with his family and friends. His music appreciation ranged from heavy metal to opera. Stephen was a hard-working, honest man who enjoyed lending a hand to others with no strings attached. He was a soft-hearted man and deep down, a sap. Anyone who knew him was privileged indeed. He is in heaven now, probably laughing with Jesus. He would want us to laugh with him, too, as we celebrate his life.

13 comments:

Lisa G said...

Dear Christine...I am sorry to hear about your brother...I remember meeting him at Bates one time and he was a very nice man. I cant believe how big your girls are getting...seems like eons ago when you guys lived on Romano and you invited me to OVCC..that was a life changing invite. Imiss the times we have spent together,and we seriously need to finish that poetry book! I will make that a to do and I can email the poems to you or should we do it in person?? I miss you---take care and God bless

Christine H. said...

Lisa,

That was actually my other brother, Tim, you met at Bates. I have 5 brothers, so even I get them mixed up! : ) But, wow, you have an awesome memory. I'd almost forgotten Tim visited and came to the beach with us.

heidibelle said...

Hey Christine,
Again I am really sorry about your brother. That was a really nice blog and the photos are fantastic. What a treasure to have done that. When will you go back?

frisky said...

Those photos are great.
I love you.

Christine H. said...

Eric & I fly to Phx. tonight. The memorial is tomorrow (Sat.)

hestermom said...

You and your family are in your prayers. Thank you God, that he is with you.

Michele said...

Oh Christine, I have just gotten around to catching up on emails and such and hadn't read about your brother. My thoughts and prayers are with you as you celebrate his life this weekend with your family. I love you!!!!!

ATSmith said...

I love all of the pictures. Autumn is a little Christine : ) Beautiful memoir. We will be praying for you this weekend.

mandrews said...

Christine I am so sorry to hear about your brother! I will definitely be praying for you guys!

Kari said...

Wonder tribute, great pictures. xoxo

Rebecca said...

Oh, Christine, I'm so sorry! You wrote a wonderful eulogy for him. Your family is so big and beautiful!

Melanie said...

Christine,

I am so sorry for your loss. I will be praying for you and your family.

try2bAsunbeam said...

((hugs))

Becca