Monday, January 28, 2008

The things she comes up with

Eric and the girls were driving me to the airport (LAX) yesterday and when we got to Van Nuys Amber had to go to the bathroom. We pulled off the very next exit, not really caring where we were because "she really had to go!" We stopped at the first gas station and ran into the bathroom. Washing our hands a few minutes later, Amber said, "Those ABCs on that mirror are not good!" I looked at the graffiti etched in the glass, and said, "Where did you hear that?" Amber said, "I don't know, but I just know that those ABCs on that mirror are not good." She was so sure of herself, too. I know she can't read yet, so I'm assuming she was referring to fact that we shouldn't write on walls or mirrors.

We returned to the car and to the freeway, and we continued our singing with Rich Mullins. His music is so cool and his lyrics are thought-provoking, raw and real. I actually got to meet him and wrote an article about him when I wrote for a newspaper in Phoenix. He was just as real in person as he is in his songs. He called himself a "hopeful sceptic." Well, we were listening to his song, "If I Stand" and Amber asked, "What does 'fall on the grace' mean?"

If I stand, let me stand on the promise that You will pull me through
If I can't let me fall on the grace that first brought me to You

Once again, I sat there, grasping for the right words to say. Eric was driving and thinking of a good response, too, when I finally said, "What does 'fall on the grace mean?' Well, it means that when we sin, we ask God for forgiveness and accept His forgiveness." I asked Eric if that was a good answer. He said "yes" and Amber was satisfied, but I thought about that phrase during the rest of the drive to the airport. Amber's comments and questions sure keep me on my toes. It challenges me to really think about what I believe.

2 comments:

Kari Rodems said...

I love your chronicles of motherhood... Love thinking back in time and remembering those days. Kids have a way of making us eat our words if we don't live them... keep walking the talk... you re a great mom! xo

try2bAsunbeam said...

LOL, that sounds exactly how I would've handled it! "Ummm, honey, what does blah blah blah mean?" After all, Daddy is the smartest man they know!! lol

Becca