Saturday, January 12, 2008

That's a Good Question

Earlier today Amber (4 1/2) came up to me and asked me, "Mommy, can God be two places at once?" I said, "Yes." Then she asked, "How can God be two places at once?" I said to her, "That's a hard question." She quickly added, "And a good one!" She just stood by me as I thought and thought and came up with this brilliant answer: "God can be two places at once because he's all-powerful; he can do anything." She just stared at me. Then I asked her, "That doesn't answer your question, does it?" She shook her head. I finally had to admit to her that I did not know how God could be two places at once, but that I believed he could. After Amber left the room, I mulled that concept over in my mind. I can't (and won't ever be able to) understand or explain some of the things of God. But I still believe them to be true. I pray that one day Amber will be able to say that. Meanwhile, does anyone else want to answer Amber's question?

4 comments:

Ryan said...

Alright, are you ready for it?
God can be two places at once because he is an illocal person. Being illocal means that he cannot be confined to a defined point. He cannot have a circle drawn around the place that He occupies. Similarly, this is also the term used to answer the rhetorical question, "How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?".

I don't know what the simplified (preschool) version of this answer would look like. Maybe something like, "God isn't confined by space and time. If you took two bathtub toys, (let's say a plastic Dora and Boots), and submerged them in the water. God is the water. Except, unlike the water He is a person, with one essence. He can also choose to remove His presence in some way, oh yeah, and there is no way to draw a circle around the whole bathtub, (because then He would cease to be illocal, and would becoem local)...

Maybe the right answer is, (because He is God)

hestermom said...

Here is my go at it...You know that song that ends, "God is love, God is love..." I can't remember the whole thing right now...But, God is like love in that He can be many places all at once. Like, how you love Amber, whether she is right with you, or in another room, your love is with her wherever she goes. And, you can love Amber and Autumn at the same time, even if they are in two different places. And your love for Eric goes with him to work! That's the best I can do in four year old world...but it is kind of cool, because you can have them go in another room, and ask them, "Do you still love me?" It can be a fun game. I will be interested, however, to see what other responses you get!

frisky said...

Yeah, I'm not even going to try to type anything after Ryan and Lisa. I'd probably stick to the whole "God is who He says He is; God can do what He says He can do". Therefore, I believe.
(I will have to say that I'm glad Ryan put in in "Dora" terms for me!)

Rebecca said...

The way I've understood it is that the universe, the world, and all the people in it are God's creation. He's so huge and powerful that they're tiny to Him. They fit in the palm of his hand, so in terms of the world and the universe, God is everywhere because we are in God and we belong to God. We can't escape Him. He's holding us and everything else together all at the same time without any effort at all, and He's also intimately involved in the tiny details of the universe and all its inhabitants. He's not a localized being who moves from place to place; He's the essence of our existence, like the air we breathe, and "in Him we live and move and have our being." Or, "From Him and through Him and to Him are all things." Or, "Christ is all, and is in all." To quote a few Paul passages. So essentially, God can be in two places at once because all of our places are in God.