Saturday, January 12, 2008

The Empty Drawer

Doesn't the title of this blog post sound like I'm going to tell you a heart-warming story, like the ones you've read on the Internet? ("The Chair," "The Piece of Chalk," "The Quilt," etc.) Well, this little ditty is not a story, and there's nothing sentimental about it.

Yesterday I discovered an empty drawer in the little desk in my office. I've had this little kids'-style desk since I was in junior high school. My dad bought it, along with other furniture, at a garage sale and painted them all white. I have the matching night stand in my bedroom and the matching chest of drawers in the girls' room. (none of the furniture in our house matches at all!)

Anyway, when I discovered this empty drawer, the gears in my mind started spinning: How did it become empty?...How long has it been empty?...but most importantly, What am I going to do with an empty drawer? The organizer in me just didn't know what to do. Then a series of new thoughts arose: What am I going to put in this empty drawer?...It has to be something the girls can't destroy by "accidentally" getting into it...Note cards? No...Photo storage cds? Maybe...Hmmm, I just don't know.

The drawer is not that big; it's about the size of two shoe boxes. But the possibilities seem to be larger than the small, empty space I have to work with. Oh, the wonderful things you can do with an empty drawer!

(For all of you Monk fans: I know, I know, "it's a blessing, AND a curse!")

4 comments:

frisky said...

I wish I had an empty drawer!!! Actually, I want to de-clutter, so maybe I should start to EMPTY those drawers instead.

Michele said...

You are so right- Monk would be freaking out over an empty drawer! And I must admit, it would be very rare for me to stumble across an unused space! I can't wait to hear what you do with it!

ATSmith said...

You are right - that title got me, even though you had already told me about it yesterday ... hahahaha!

Melanie said...

Ha ha! I just emptied a drawer at my house about 2 hours ago. With a little house so the process goes. I put things away thinking I need them only to unpack a new box and realize the new box of items is more keep worthy so off to the donation center goes the old stuff. It seems to never end around here.