Wednesday, December 19, 2007

I will praise the Lord all my life

Yesterday was a bad day. I had received some very disappointing news. I was sad. Then I was mad. In the end I was just wiped out from all of the tears and emotions. The girls were both in rooms taking naps. Autumn was asleep in the girls' room and--definitely an act of God--Amber was actually sleeping in our room instead of just reading quietly. I got out my Bible.

Rule no. 1 when you are mad or sad: Read the Psalms. David had a hard life, and not always by choice. In every other psalm he writes about tragedy, betrayal, life-threatening situations and just really bad days. I started reading Psalm 136. "Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good. His love endures forever..." Then I read on until I got to Psalm 146. "Praise the Lord. Praise the Lord, O my soul. I will praise the Lord all my life. I will sing praises to God as long as I live." Then I stopped. I just stared at those words and then said to myself over and over, "I will praise the Lord all my life." I am so sad, but I will praise the Lord all my life. I am so mad, but I will praise the Lord all my life. I seriously felt so much more at peace, and that doesn't always happen when I read the Psalms. But it did yesterday. Then I ate a bowl of mint chip ice cream with homemade chocolate fudge sauce.

Rule no. 2 when you are mad or sad: Don't eat a huge bowl of sugar! Especially when you are going to go work out in 30 minutes! Yeah, I was sick to my stomach! But I had all the more incentive to go work out. My babysitter arrived a half hour later and I headed to Curves.

Rule no. 3 when you are mad or sad: Go work out! I recently found out that working out for at least 20 minutes everyday releases endorphins in your body that are natural pain killers. So, I went to Curves and did my 30-minute workout and chatted with the ladies there and had a wonderful time! On the way back, I felt like a new woman. And all the way home, I kept saying, "I will praise the Lord all my life."

2 comments:

ATSmith said...

That's awesome Christine! Thanks for sharing.

frisky said...

I need to remember these rules. Although, I will probably not abide by rule #2 very well... I like my chocolate!