Sunday, October 14, 2007

Top Ten Things To Do Before I Die

One of my friends recently posted on her blog some things she wanted to accomplish in the next year, and some of them were steep! So that prompted me to post my list of things I want to do before I die. Some of them will most likely never be accomplished, like #4 , but they're staying on my list...who knows! I made this list 5 years ago in my journal. (By the way, when I die, I hope someone reads my journals.) Okay, so here it is...

Top Ten Things I Want To Do Before I Die (not necessarily in order):

1.) See a bear in the wild. (remember I'm a big city girl)
2.) Milk a real cow. (there's a story behind that one...maybe for another post)
3.) Learn to play the drums.
4.) Sing as a background singer for Steven Curtis Chapman or Michael W. Smith. (just once)
5.) Publish a book that I wrote. (I have self-published two poetry books, but that doesn't count.)
6.) Catch or spear a marlin.
7.) Meet either Chuck Swindoll or Janette Oke, my favorite authors. (Now I would probably change this one to something more exciting, like taking fencing lessons.)
8.) Get my pilot's licence.
9.) Fly in a helicopter. (I think I've flown in just about every other machine, except a blimp.)
10.) Go back to Belgium, or go to Scotland. (where my dad's heritage lies)

When I wrote this list, I had already started taking up skydiving, or it would have been on the list, too. I was tempted to put it on the list and then cross it out. He He!!

So, those of you who have blogs, I want to see your list on your blog. If you don't have a list, make one. It's fun and I've always been an advocate for dreaming, even if some of your dreams never come true.

17 comments:

mandrews said...

Very cool Christine! But didn't we see a bear while we were up at Hume? Or maybe you never saw it... I don't remember but cool list!

Christine H. said...

Oh, you don't remember? You girls SAY you saw a bear near the trash cans by the dining room. So I went out alone in my pjs and slippers, after lights out, to look for the bear. One of the Lead Counselors caught me and I lied and told him that I was going to the bathroom. He told me it was in the OTHER direction! : ) I felt like a little kid getting caught. Anyway, after I asked God's forgiveness for lying, I accused all of my cute little junior high girls of setting me up. But you all swore you saw the bear. So, no, I never saw it!

Dave & Katie said...

Wow, those are awesome things that you want to do. Good idea!

Melanie said...

Oh great! A challenge! Is it bad that I don't have a list? I don't even know what I would put on it. Is it that I have learned to be happy with where I am or did I just forget how to do something important (i.e. having dreams?)
Better start thinking about that!

Christine H. said...

Wow, Melanie...too deep! When I did this it was just to have fun dreaming...My mom always told me to dream big. Anyway, no pressure was intended. Just have fun!

frisky said...

Uuhhh, I'm definitely going to have to contemplate on this one for a while before you see it on my blog.

Rebecca said...

My family always attracted the bears for some reason. My dad became very adept at banging pots together, while my mom and I became very adept at backing away speechless. Once she was reading a Reader's Digest story called Grizzly! (with an exclamation point) when a black bear came through the bushes behind us. She thought I was kidding the first three times I whispered, "Bear!" and then we ran away squealing. But he was only after our Cheetos.

And I am totally with you on the book thing. I'll really feel like I've failed if I never do that.

ATSmith said...

You can milk our goats next summer if you want ... could that count as #2?

Christine H. said...

Thanks, Amber, I'd love to milk the goats. Sign me up. But, I still want to milk a cow!

try2bAsunbeam said...

Great idea! Although, I think I need to dwell on this a bit before I post. Maybe later today...
You sound very adventurous! Cows and helicopters! lol

try2bAsunbeam said...

Great idea! Although, I think I need to dwell on this a bit before I post. Maybe later today...
You sound very adventurous! Cows and helicopters! lol

Kari Rodems said...

You are an adventurous girl! Did I ever tell you about the up close and personal run in with a bear I had in the mountains? I think I can still smell it's breath... Hey, thank you so much for editing that little booklet for me... you are so good at that and I so need an editor - thanks for helping :)

Michele said...

We had a bear in our camp at Yosemite one summer- it's not all it's cracked up to be :-) Great list girl, I hope you get your heart's desire!

Jeff Frazee said...

Hey Christine,
Thanks for being THE person who comments on my blog so I don't feel like it's a total loss.
I've seen a bear less than ten miles from your house.
I think the list might be a growing thing on my blog. I like the idea.
So if you haven't flown in a blimp or a helicopter... what have you flown in?

Christine H. said...

Jeff,

I've flown in small and large commercial airplanes (of course); twin engine King Air, and Cessna (both skydiving), a glider (not a hang-glider), an ultralight (like riding a motorcycle in the sky); and...let's see...I know I'm forgetting something. Oh, and I almost got to fly in an F-16 with the Blue Angels (no joke). Every year at this big air show in Glendale, AZ, a reporter from a local newspaper gets to ride with the Blue Angels. Well, seniority won out and--even though the city of Glendale was MY beat, another reporter who had been at the newspaper longer than me got to go. She threw up all over the plane.

alyson said...

I LOVE that you're a fan of Janette Oke too & I would SO love to meet her as well!! My favorites are the entire “Love Comes Softly” series which I would highly encourage anyone to read!! I also LOVE the DVD’s they make for Hallmark. Just wanted to let you & any other Oke fans out there know that I just got the last movie “Love’s Unending Legacy” on DVD (IT IS AWESOME!!) through the DVD website where you can buy all the movies in the series and download a free bible study… just wanted to fyi in case you are interested! xoxo, alyson

http://lovesunendinglegacydvd.com

Jerri said...

Christine h - I'm a Janette Oke fanatic and once met her at a book signing...she is soooo sweet! Great blog, BTW

Alyson - thanks for the link. Did you know that Love's Unfolding Dream comes out today? I don't know if it has a site or not but I know what I'm doing tonight....curling up in front of the tube with some popcorn watching Belinda!