Thursday, September 6, 2007

Snippets

Since I didn’t blog at all last week, I thought I’d just offer you some snippets of life at the Hodge Lodge these past few days.

Not Too Hot to Trot: On the hottest day of the week last week (and perhaps the hottest day I’ve experienced in my 11 years in Ojai) I saw one of the most bizarre things I have ever seen. It was 110 degrees outside (in the shade) and the hottest part of the day. I just happened to look outside my kitchen window to see a woman power-walking. She was covered from head to toe in clothes. Long sweat pants and a long-sleeved fleese hoodie–with the hood on! I saw her again a few days later, wearing the same outfit! Maybe she was avoiding the spa and creating her own personal sauna. All I know is that looking at her made me feel even hotter than I already was!

Pop Goes the Goosebumps: Somehow, during the hot spell last week, Amber was cold for a brief moment. I said, "You have goosebumps." She said, "Mommy please don’t pop them!" (Thinking they were zits!)

Rules for the Road: We were leaving the house to take the girls to their babysitter, when Amber started telling her imaginary friends–Rhea and Gracie–the rules they had to keep while at the babysitter’s home. She said. "No fighting. No taking toys from the dog. No eating the turtle’s broccoli." I didn’t know they had a turtle?

Cooking with Christine: My good friend, Gina, and I had a blast preparing and assembling more than a dozen meals at Dream Dinners in Ventura. She wrote all about it in her blog:http://onceuponatimeisnow.blogspot.com/ Check it out for the full story, and more pictures.

The Harvest is Plentiful: Amber picked 55 cherry tomatoes from her tomato patch today. It’s her own garden she planted with her grandpa Hodge. She waters it and takes care of it all by herself (which is good, because I have an extremely black thumb and might sabotage the whole project with just one look).

Lights, Camera, Action: Eric’s friend Greg–who works at Brooks Institute of Photography–did a documentary today on Eric and his mobile mechanic business. This is the second time someone has done a documentary on Eric (Jeff Frazee did one a few years ago). No one has ever wanted to do a documentary on my life as a stay-at-home-mom. Hmmm...now that would be a story!!!

3 comments:

Rebecca said...

Snippets are good. They get a lot done in a little space. And yay for cherry tomatoes! I'm so impressed that she can do that all by herself!

I am so glad to not be in Ojai during this heat wave. We're actually starting into fall up here. I think I would melt on contact if I arrived there now.

frisky said...

Love the "snippets"... I may have to borrow that.

try2bAsunbeam said...

You have fabulous pictures!
(and, yes, I love the snippets too)