Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Results of My Media Fast

My "media fast" ended last night, but the funny thing was that I thought it ended tonight. So, I am excited to post this blog, and read all my friend’s blogs on Google Reader today!

I picked perhaps the worst week in the entire year to do a media fast, as it was over 110 degrees each day in Ojai (one day it was 117 degrees in the shade outside our home!) Our swamp cooler just didn’t do its job last week, so our home stayed a hot 85+ degrees inside all day. All I wanted to do was watch a movie or go on the computer, in fact that’s about all a person could do. Housework was out of the question because any slight movement would raise my internal temperature. Going to the park or running errands was unheard of! But, I am a person who likes to finish what I started, so I plugged along with my media fast.

Instead of watching movies, in the evenings I read a book and magazines, scrapbooked and made Christmas cards. Eric read books (he didn’t do any crafts!)

The girls were great about not watching videos all week. My 4-year-old, Amber, was the one who surprised me the most. She only asked a few times to watch a video, and when I reminded her of our fast, she said, "Okay." I have to admit, with the house being so hot, I would have loved to stick the girls in front of a T.V. all day! But instead, we put together puzzles and did more involved crafts that we normally wouldn’t do (rubber stamping on cards, decorating picture frames, scrapbooking).

The hardest part of the fast for me was not being able to post blogs about my cute kids and family happenings. We played a game as a family one night and some funny things happened and I wanted to blog about it, but I wrote it down on a piece of paper to blog about later (tomorrow’s blog).

Surprisingly, I didn’t mind at all not being able to watch videos. The book I was reading was so captivating that I looked forward to reading it every night. I didn’t finish it, though, so I’ll have to discipline myself to watch a little less videos this week until I finish it.

However, when I realized last night that my fast was over, I was so excited to watch a movie! (I thought it was pathetic that I would be that excited.) I got a beverage for Eric and I and we sat down and watched "One Night With the King." I had never watched it before. It was so romantic!

Other things I wanted to do last week but couldn’t: Google a new store I heard about in Ventura. Print out a few pictures for my scrapbook. Look on Amazon for a book for my mother-in-law.

The funniest thing that happened as a result of my media fast: Just two days after I started the fast, Eric’s dad asked me to print out some pictures I had taken of him and his first yellowtail he speared. I really didn’t want to because of my fast, but he was in town and wanted to show them to a friend. So, I snuck into the office while the girls were in the living room playing. Amber walked in the office and caught me and said something like, "Hey mommy, you’re not supposed to be on the computer." I literally jumped. I felt like I had been caught and I had to explain to Amber that grandpa made me do it.

Well, my media fast is over, so you'll be hearing a lot more from me now. Yay!

6 comments:

try2bAsunbeam said...

lol--Grandpa made me do it!! hehe, that'll come back to haunt you!

One of my favorite movies in One Night with a King-- made me cry...After watching that movie, I resolved to treat "my king" like the king he is...I'm talking about my husband--not Jesus...I mean, I try to treat Jesus like the King he is, but I'm on a different mind path here.

She showed such trust and honor to him, even though the other people saw her as being so very disrespectful--but he knew exactly where her heart and mind was and she trusted her life in his hands. You're right, very romantic...beautiful...Just reminds me over and over of my sweetie...

It's been almost a year since I saw that movie and I am glad to have it be brought fresh into the front of my mind again...

Oh, I almost forgot!

Glad to have you back!

ATSmith said...

Our kids are so good at keeping us in line!

heidibelle said...

Well you came back with lots to say! And it is fun to have you commenting again. :) I'm glad the week was such a good experience for you despite the heat. We had one day of relief here, but today was warm again. I'll try and send some cooler weather your way. Give Amber our love. Drew appreciated her message and I did too!

mandrews said...

Glad to have you back!

Rebecca said...

The devil made me do it! I mean Grandpa! Yeah. . .

frisky said...

You've inspired me, woman! I don't think I could get Billy to do it, and I'm not sure about the kids, but I may try it myself. Okay, probably just the tv part. And I'd better hurry before the new fall line-up begins!! LOL!!