Friday, September 7, 2007

Football?

I'm not really what you would call a football fan (okay, I'm not a football fan at all). But I do enjoy watching high school and college football, if you can call what I do at games "watching." I think I attended every single home game at the University of Arizona during the five years I attended school. I had season tickets every year, sometimes on the 50 yard line (I'm told that's a good spot to sit). And yet, I still know very little about the sport. I do know that the players have four chances to get a first down and that they must go 10 yards to achieve that. I know that you get six points for a touchdown and can score another one or three points...okay, I just lost myself. That's the extent of my football knowledge. So, what did I do at all those games, you ask? Well, I did what I'm very good at: talking. I talked to my friends Jennifer and Michele during every game, every year, for five years. I cheered when everyone else cheered and I stood up and jingled my keys when everyone else did (I think it was for each kickoff). And I loved every minute of it!

Tonight I went to the first home football game at Nordhoff High School in Ojai. Eric is out of town and I got a babysitter and met my friend, Danielle, and her family and we "watched" the game together. It was so much fun, first of all because I got to get in free and sit in the bleachers right beneath the announcer's box. Every time Nordhoff scored a touchdown, someone would throw candy into the stands, and I had the primo spot for catching it. I ate so many "extreme sour warheads" that I am sick! (I haven't eaten them in years!) It also was fun because I got to go down to the field after the game and meet Danielle's dad, the head coach. I felt so important (when in actuality, anyone probably could have gone down there). We scored four touchdowns (I think) and I didn't actually see one of them. Why? Because I was talking Danielle's ear off. I haven't had that much fun since...well, since Jennifer and Michele and I watched Arizona football together.

Oh, we won, by the way. I think the score was 30-14. But I wasn't paying attention.

5 comments:

Michele said...

Oh my- you just brought me back (I won't say how many years!). I loved those games! I love football too, but most of the appeal was talking with you and Jen. To me it wasn't fall until you were in a football stadium wrapped in a blanket! And you are right- the keys were for the kickoff.

hestermom said...

Sounds like a bunch of fun!! Ben and I were just saying how fun it would be to go...except for that it's so expensive!!! We had one of our first dates at a Nordhoff football game...in, let's see...1996. Yup. So glad you girls had fun!

Melanie said...

I love college and high school football. We really want to make it up for a Nordhoff game this year. It's been a really long time. I too had season tickets to U of A football every year! The tailgate parties, the sea of red, jingling keys, and crazy frat boys painted was so much fun! Some of us are talking about a reunion to go back for homecoming one year. Thanks for the wonderful reminder. But now I am kind of craving a tri tip sandwich from the Optimist booth. (Do they still do that?)

IslandHopperGirl said...

YO!!! football rocks!!! 8D

heidibelle said...

I remember the game when I was pregnant with Joe and and I was babysitting Amber and decided to take her and Drew to the game. (Jeff was shooting photos.) After walking three blocks with two toddlers I began to question my decision. It was fun but I was exhausted. It is much more fun with a friend than toddlers. They were entertained though... :)