Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Media Fast

I'm not going to be blogging for the next seven days. After spending the last several days on the computer much more than I should have, I decided to take the week off, and only check my email once each evening. Just email. No blogs. No uploading pictures. No Snapfish. No ebay. No Amazon. Just email once a day.

Then I thought to myself, "Why don't I take an entire media fast for seven days?" So, I decided to "turn the T.V. off" for a week. No Netflix videos in the evenings after the girls are in bed. Eric is going to join me in my media fast, too. And the girls are going to go a whole week without videos.

I'm going to read some of the many book I have in the house. I think I'll start with a novel by my favorite author, Janette Oke. Eric loves reading in the evenings, so it will be fun to read "together." As for the girls, they love to have me read to them, so that is what we will do instead of a video.

So, I'm signing off. I'll let you know how it went next week. I am so excited!

6 comments:

ATSmith said...

Love the media-free week (no T.V., no shows). I should definitely do that. But the no blogging is hard ... Ryan and I had a conversation about it the other night. Blogging is my adult conversation for the day. I think I'll blog about it ... : ) So, no blogging would make me go a little crazy (bad outweighs the good). Let me know how it goes for you ....

Dave & Katie said...

That sounds really great!

hestermom said...

Yes, we media fast fairly frequently. But not so much by a concious effort, but because we don't have cable (like you guys), we don't have Netflix or any other service of the sort, and, although I am a little more attached to my computer due to the aforementioned, I cannot ever use the computer during the day because I have three little ones and a husband asleep in the room with the computer!! =) But then again, even without all the media, I still get into trouble, even with books(as you read on my blog)!! Ah! Human nature.

frisky said...

If I quit all that stuff, do you know how many kids we would have?!

heidibelle said...

OK< I'm not going to comment on what Gina said... :) But this is great Christine. I always like it when we do this. Jeff institutes it sometimes, and we usually all benefit from the reminder that life is not all about media. I'd better get used to it anyway... So enjoy. We have been trying to just read and get other things done in the evening. Other than watching TV. It's hard when all you want to do is crash. But it is mostly just out of habit.

try2bAsunbeam said...

We used to keep our TV in a closet. It was wonderful!! But when my monitor crashed we got one with a TV in it...what a mistake.

I read a paragraph called "The Stranger" this week on a board I frequent. It is quite interesting. I think i'll post it on my blog...In summary, it's the only stranger you'd allow in your house with such fithy language and behavior and in the end, it says that he now has a wife, the computer!