Sunday, August 12, 2007

Lizards and Frogs and Skunks, Oh My!

Tonight--as happens quite often in the summer--I'm just sure there's a skunk walking around outside our house. I've never actually seen one, but I sure can smell it through the open windows. Tonight I smelled it coming through our swamp cooler.

What we have seen this summer are a lot of lizards. I know, everyone sees lizards in their backyard in Ojai, but we've found two baby lizards in our house! Amber found the first one. "Mommy, mommy, I see a lizard!" she said to me one day this week. At first I thought she was pretending, and then I thought she was just seeing things. But she insisted, and sure enough, under a blanket in the laundry room was a little baby lizard. I'd never seen one so tiny; it was about the size of a push pin. I thought we'd never catch it, but once we did, that little fella was quite tame. It crawled all over Amber's arm and didn't try to escape. Then we set it loose outside. (I would have taken a picture but our digital camera broke!)

A few days later, we found a second baby lizard in the track of the front window. We had an even harder time catching this one because he kept escaping inside the track. He also was quite tame once we caught him and took him outside. Now I'm wondering...where's the mama lizard that birthed these babies in our home?
As for the frogs, they live in the drain pipe in our outside patio sink. Oftentimes one of us will turn on the water to wash our hands and out will hop a little frog. Every time, it startles us and makes us jump back! Autumn and I had fun one day with the frog in the kiddie pool. Don't worry, he survived and is back at home in the pipe.

No comments: