Tuesday, August 21, 2007

First Day of School

This morning I dropped off Amber at Noah's Ark Preschool for her first day of pre-kindergarten. She was so excited! Last night, at about 6:45 p.m.(90 minutes before her bedtime), she said she wanted to go to bed so she could sleep and then go to preschool.

With lunchbox in hand, Amber walked out the door and I was determined to not shed a tear. I drove her to school, passing up big yellow school buses, and fought back tears. I took her into her classroom, introduced her to Miss Debra and Miss Rory, and fought back tears. (On a side note, when we walked in to class, Autumn promptly sat down at one of the tables, thinking she was going to school, too!)
I gave Amber a hug and kiss good-bye and walked out, tear-free. I almost made it, too, except that I had to pass by the office to pay tuition. As I was casually chatting with the administrator...uh oh, my eyes welled up with tears.

What is it about the first day of school that gets to me--and a lot of moms? It's not that I'm going to miss Amber. (Oops, did I just say that out loud?) I think it's because we, as moms, get an overwhelming sense of the fact that another year has passed us by--a year that we can't re-live, even if we wanted to. It makes us aware of the fact that our little one is another year older, and growing up so fast that if we blink, we're likely to miss something.

So here I am, blogging about my 4 1/2-year-old while my 21-month-old is getting into mischief at my feet in the office. And one day soon, I'll be getting all teary-eyed over her first day of preschool. But when that time comes, I'll be crying several days before the first day of school even starts!

6 comments:

ATSmith said...

Bittersweet.

IslandHopperGirl said...

I think tears speak louder than words. They tell the truth about how you feel, because tears don't lie or hold back. You are such a loving mom. Take care.

try2bAsunbeam said...

They grow up so fast, don't they? Hang on to each precious moment...

Melanie said...

Too sweet! Preschool is coming in about 3 weeks and I am sure I will be the same as you.

Kari Rodems said...

So love hearing about you and your girls. You are such a loving mom. Thanks for your email and yes I'd love do do coffee soon :)

heidibelle said...

Wow, I'm glad she is getting this experience, and you too. It will be fun to look back on. Going away to school, before coming home for school.