Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Fast Food

Even though I love to cook (and was a Pampered Chef kitchen consultant for more than eight years), I just can't get excited about cooking dinner these days with a toddler and a pre-schooler underfoot. So, I've been trying to find ways to speed up the preparation and cooking process while keeping the meals nutritious. I like the idea of frozen meals, but dislike the additives and preservatives that are in most prepared foods.

Then my friend Lisa turned me on to a stir fry dish with tofu, and it was a hit. Tonight after dinner, I went to the kitchen to put away the leftovers, and there weren't any! I grilled Trader Joe's extra firm tofu (comes in a 2-pack for 99 cents!) Then I added Trader Joe's Pacific Shores Stir Fry Vegetables (frozen with no additives or preservatives and it costs a dollar and some change!) I cooked them in a little garlic oil, rice vinegar and soy sauce. To round out the meal, I steamed some white rice. It took me less than 30 minutes from start to finish and cost under $3.00 total to feed my family of four! I am so excited about this!


Another way I've done fast food the nutritious way is buying Trader Joe's frozen pizzas. (This isn't a free ad for TJs) Before trying their pizza, I had yet to find a store-bought frozen pizza that didn't taste like the cardboard box it came in. But I and my family have enjoyed TJs frozen pizzas (with no preservatives and no artificial colors or flavors). Our faves are the Three Cheese, which we added pineapples to once, the Pizza Margherita and the Spinach Pizza. Each pizza costs $3 to $5, and you need two pizzas for a family of four who really enjoys pizza, like we do (or one pizza and a nice salad).


Bon Appetite!

7 comments:

hestermom said...

Yeah! So glad the stir-fry worked out...I didn't know they had a frozen stir-fry vegetable blend. I use the one at the beginning of the store, the veggies aren't frozen. But I have to be very careful not to get any stir-fry mixes containing ONIONS!! (You know how it is in my house, hubby is not on board with onions!)

heidibelle said...

I totally know what you mean about preparing meals with little ones. I was asked to make a quiche for tonight which I am happy to do. It is a one dish wonder that really is easy to do. But the thought and brain power that goes into most meals is too much for me most days...

Tracyrobison said...

We love Trade Joes pizzas too. We will try the stir fry sounds good. Thanks for the tips. I love easy meals.

IslandHopperGirl said...

U r a youth leader? that's awesome! I didn't know that. That explains y ur easy to talk to. lol. Well, anyways, I could use some prayer right now. Some things have come up.

Rebecca said...

Oh, I miss TJ's pizza margherita! We so need Trader Joe's up here!!!

Dave & Katie said...

What a great idea...even though I don't have kids, so obviously don't know what it's like to cook with little ones everhwere. But, hey, inexpensive with little to no effort...that's my kind of meal!

ATSmith said...

I need to try that Tofu stir-fry thing too. Have you ever tried the cornmeal-crust pizzas from TJ's? They are in the refrigerator section and are REALLY good.