Monday, July 16, 2007

Sock Heaven

Ever wonder what happens to all of the socks that end up missing? Musician Steve Taylor has a song about that called Sock Heaven. Bill Cosby has a theory on the subject, too. On a Cosby Show that I recently watched, he said that the pair of socks get together and one sock says to its mate, "I'll go hide out somewhere for awhile." When the owner can't find the other sock, he puts the lone sock aside for months, hoping that its mate will show up. Finally, the owner throws away the lone sock, and a few days later, the sock's mate re-appears just to drive the owner crazy! Then it becomes a dust rag.

The other night, I dreamed that I opened my dryer door and found a little trap door at the back (sort of like the lint trap). I opened the little trap door and started pulling out clothes. First it was a sock, then another, then a pair of Amber's jeans, and more clothes, and stuffed animals and plush toys. I kept fishing them out with a pair of tweezers. When I finished, I had pulled out a whole load of laundry! Then I woke up and realized that it was laundry day. My funny dream became a nightmare, as I looked at the piles of dirty laundry on my bedroom floor!

That was last Wednesday. Today--almost a week later--I have just finished putting away the clean laundry, and the dirty clothes hamper in our bedroom is almost full again!

5 comments:

Melanie said...

Okay! I have to laugh because I posted about laundry earlier today! At least I feel good to know that I am not in this laundry boat alone.

ATSmith said...

Laundry is in the air ... I just put away 4 loads today! But I still have to put away our clean clothes from our trip ... by now they are probably dirty from gathering dust on the floor ...

IslandHopperGirl said...

LOL! I always end up losing my socks...Maybe that should become the new phrase for "losing your marbles" because missing socks can drive you insane!! Anyways, my trip was so much fun. If you wanna know how everything went, just check out my blog. I would love to hear from you.

Kari Rodems said...

For a while when the kids were younger I decided to by all the socks the same, Jaymies had cute ruffles, Corey's were athletic socks. That way as they as the began to disapear one by one there was often another lone sock from a previous load that it could be matched up with... All these years later, I am now the one who seems to be missing socks way too often... maybe I have one of those doors in my dryer too... :)

mhkingsley said...

I think I've almost convinced Hailey to start blogging again. She is so close, now having her own computer. Hopefully your blog can help encourage her.

P.S. Your dreams are freaking me out.