Friday, July 27, 2007

The Good, the Bad and the...

I had an epiphany the other night. The word epiphany is such a weird word, isn't it? But I've always wanted to use it in a sentence.

Seriously, though, I did have an epiphany...a revelation, if you will, about my use of the words good and bad when referring to how my day went. Almost every night during dinner, Eric asks me how my day was. I usually answer that it was a good day or a bad day, depending on the events that happened, especially in regards to my two daughters.

It was a good day because the girls were good. It was a bad day because the girls were not so good. Is that really the way I should view my day? There are going to be good days and bad days and mediocre days. The real question for me is, "Was my day glorifying to God? Was I in God's will today?"

2 comments:

ATSmith said...

Ahhh ... a very challenging question indeed -- esp. when the day is all over and we are tired.

Rebecca said...

I do that too. It seems like everything hinges on how the kids behave, rather than how I behave. I'm reacting to them rather than leading out with my behavior. I've been thinking about that lately, but the good-day/bad-day thing puts it in a new perspective.