Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Tags and Hangnails

Have you ever done something and--as soon as you did it--you realized how stupid it was? It happens to me all the time when it comes to tags and hangnails.

I hate tags on clothing, especially T-shirts. So, when I get a "new" shirt (usually a hand-me-down, which I love), and I wear it for the first time, I immediately feel the tag at the back of my neck. I reach behind me and tear (more like yank) out the tag while I'm wearing the shirt. It almost always results in ripping the shirt, which will never get repaired because I can't even thread a needle (see my Fun with a Cardboard Box post). I did it again today with one of my "new" shirts from the Swap (see my Free For All post). Don't ask me why I don't just cut out the tag before wearing the shirt, or take the shirt off and use scissors to cut the tag. It's just a stupid thing I do that usually results in negative consequences.

Other things I yank out are hangnails. As I'm sitting down watching a video and fiddling with my fingernails, I notice a hangnail. Instead of pausing the DVD, getting the nail clippers and cutting the nail, I yank it out! Then, the next day, I really suffer because--if any of you know about pulling hangnails--it results in a painful, swollen cuticle that lasts for days.

My children do the same thing sometimes. They disobey me and then suffer the consequences of unwise choices.

So, why am I writing about hangnails and T-shirt tags and kids' disobedience? No reason, really. I mean, I could make some profound, spiritual connection like what happens when we disobey God. But, I'll save that for another day. I was really just rambling.

6 comments:

Christine H. said...

BTW, while I was writing this post, my children were getting into trouble in the next room. Autumn had climbed onto a chair and had gotten into my scrapbooking scissors and was digging the scissors into a candle that used to be high up on a shelf. How did Autumn get the candle? Amber said, "I got the candle down for her!" But, because I had just written this post about me doing stupid things, I decided to forego punnishing them.

hestermom said...

Yes, I experience the same "tags and hangnails" feeling when I open my mouth too quickly or too often. he,he.

ATSmith said...

I love that you wrote your ramblings and didn't feel the need to "spiritualize" them ... it's good, honest writing : ) Hangnails really hurt! Ouch! Tags on the other hand ... when I buy new clothes I do this weird thing where I hang them up and keep them new for another few weeks or even another month until I finally decide it's time to tear off the tag and break in the shirt : ) I usually use my teeth or scissors ....

Rebecca said...

I do that to hangnails too, and I always regret it, but never seem to learn. Sheesh.

Jeff Frazee said...

I can so picture you doing that because I have seen it so many times. Funny!!!

heidibelle said...

Oopps that was actually me, no Jeff who commented. The dangers of us having separate accounts on the same computer.