Monday, June 4, 2007

The Sound of a Cry

It’s amazing how much we–as parents--know about our children when they are so young. I guess we should know them well, after all we’re with them day in and day out. At a meeting last night, I observed just how much each parent knew their child by the cry, scream or other noise they heard. Nine adults were in one room and six toddlers and preschoolers were in the nursery next door with the babysitters. Soon, we heard a cry.

"It’s Jeyda," Danielle said. Michaela went to check on her and–sure enough–it was Jeyda.

A few minutes later we heard a scream.
"It’s Amber," I said. She’s just playing.

The meeting went on and later we heard a cry of protest. Michaela went to check on the situation. (Thanks, M, for the constant trips back and forth to the nursery!) When she returned, she said, "They were just changing one of the diapers."

Eric said, "Was it Autumn?" Indeed, it was!

As the meeting came to an end, one of the babysitters came into our room and said, "Do any of you have extra underwear for the girls?"

Immediately--and almost at the same time–Danielle and I asked if it was our daughter who had wet her pants. And guess what? It was BOTH of them!

Wow! We really do know our children. But how hard can it be; each family last night only had two kids to care for? Think about our Heavenly Father. He has a lot more kids to take care of than we do (I’m not even going to try to do the math). In John 10:14 Jesus said, "I am the good shepherd. I know my sheep and my sheep know me." The first half of the 10th chapter of John is a beautiful picture of how much Jesus knows us and loves us and cares for us. We are so blessed to have a Heavenly Father who knows so much about his children, right down to our cries.

4 comments:

hestermom said...

Amen! Yes, he knows our whiny voice, and when we are grumpy-growly! And yet, I am sure that as I do, He much prefers a thankful attitude...=)

ATSmith said...

Well put : )

Rebecca said...

I couldn't believe that I was able to tell the twins' cries apart, when genetically their voices are the same.

That's amazing that God knows all of us so intimately, even when there are so many of us. Great post.

heidibelle said...

Great reminder about God in a way all parents can relate to.