Friday, June 1, 2007

My First Field Trip

For those of you who are mothers, you probably have experienced one of those moments in your life when you really felt like a mom. I’m not talking about holding your baby in your arms for the first time, although those are momentous times. I’m referring to those times when you are overcome with the realization that you are a parent, and a little bit of pride wells up inside you.

The first time I really felt like a mom was when I dropped my oldest daughter Amber off at preschool. As I pulled into the parking lot in my little SUV (little compared to all of the vans and Suburbans parked near me), I was flooded with emotions. "This is it," I thought. "This is what moms do." I had tears in my eyes, not because Amber was entering preschool, but because I was a mother of a preschooler.

Today was another one of those times when I really felt like a mom. It was my first field trip, as a mom. My youngest daughter Autumn and I met the other moms and teachers and students at preschool and loaded into vans and SUVs and headed down the highway to the Squab Ranch. As the caravan pulled into the dusty lot, it happened again. I was flooded with emotions. I thought, "This is what moms do. They go with their kids on field trips."

I took lots of pictures, of course, and when I explained to one of the moms that this was my first field trip, I almost cried. I hope she thought it was just allergies from all of the dust. I saw lots of pigeons (this ranch has 16,000 of them) and chickens and geese and baby ducks. I ate walnuts from a 100+ old tree. And inside I was overflowing with joy. "I’m a mom!" I thought. I’ve known that for more than 4 years, but today I really felt like a mom!

4 comments:

rebecca_kerr said...

I totally know what you mean. For some reason laundry does that to me. I guess it's the realization that all those mountains of clothes couldn't possibly be for just me.

Christine H. said...

I've never gotten that feeling with laundry. I've gotten tears of being overwhelmed & exhausted because of laundry, though! LOL

ATSmith said...

Christine - I know what you are talking about ... it's like ownership to a club or something (preschool, the mini suv, etc.) Becky -- hmmm .... the laundry thing is funny, you should be a comedian. But I think I am more with Christine here -- feeling currently overwhelmed by the mountains (not piles) of CLEAN laundry on my bedroom floor (does that mean they are still clean?) that need to be folded and put away ... guess there is always tomorrow.

karirodems said...

I love how you savored those moments... I remember the days when I'd explain my children's age by the number of months they had been on this earth... now they are pushing 18 and 20 years... but I'm barely 526 mo. old... how could they be so old already??... Great blog!